Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have *finally* gotten myself together regarding fitness and losing my "baby" weight (DS is 3!!!) and I am very motivated. I have already lost about 6 pounds in the past 2 weeks!

Anyway, in addition to exercising daily I am finding that mini meals are working best for me. I have a small meal/snack every couple hours and it is really helping to keep my cravings under control plus it is keeping my energy levels up.

Anyway, I'll get to the point now
What are your favorite mini meals/snacks? What is tasty and leaves you satisfied?

Here are a some of my favorites-

Luna bars
Peanut butter on a banana
WW English muffin pizza
Lowfat cheese and wheat thins
Soups
Hummus and pita
Half a bagel with yogurt cream cheese spread
Huge veggie salad with egg, low fat cheese & Newman's light balsamic vinagarette. ( Awesome dressing!)
Yogurt & fruit smoothies

·
Registered
4 Posts
i agree, healthy snacks keep my blood sugar up in between meals. some of my favorites:

* Fruit Smoothie
(i toss in a few of these: bananas, melons, frozen berries, green juice, soy milk, yogurt, peaches, nectarines, fresh strawberries, flax seed oil... I put the ingredients in the blender bowl at night, stick it in the fridge and blend it in the morning so I can have my smoothie before i'm mentally awake!)

* water- fills the tummy, keeps me hydrated

* a ziplock baggie filled with raisins and nuts (play around with different types of each)

* baby carrots out of the bag

* baked tofu -- pour out the water and place tofu on a plate. cover with another plate and set something heavy on it for 10-15 min to drain the remaining juice. cut into strips. spread on a cookie sheet and cover with nutritional yeast flakes and then a bit of honey. cook at 350 for about 40 minutes. I make up a large batch, keep them in the fridge and snack on them when I need a little boost.

·
Registered
246 Posts
What about a cold bean salad. You could eat a half cup portion, give or take and I think it would be quite filling.

I just made these two today.

Fennel & White Bean Salad

1 can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 table spoon olive oil
2 fennel bulbs, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon dried sage, crumbled
salt and pepper to taste

Mix together and eat.

Black Bean & Corn Salad

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 ears of corn, grilled with the kernels removed
1/2 of a sweet red pepper, chopped finely
8 green onion, sliced
1 tablespoon canola oil
The juice of one lime
1 teapsoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder (can be omitted)
salt and pepper to taste

Mix and chill a couple of hours before serving

·
Registered
416 Posts
I try to do this too - my favorites:

ff plain yogurt with sliced almonds

a sweet potato with ff cottage cheese and salsa

ff cottage cheese and fruit

hummus, tabouli and spinach - either on a wrap or as a salad

veggie burgers (tuna, sliced chicken other protein source) with salad

soups or chilis (try plain popcorn for crunch!!)

I think the trick is to get protein, good fiber and a little fat @ about 200-300 cal per meal. I'm not a super counter, but I think you can intuitively feel how full that is. Lots of flavor, minimal processing, lots of texture and action. I've lost 50 lbs in the last year, though I stepped on the scale and I was back up 10 over the last 3 months. Time to follow my own advice!!

Leah

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.