Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Hello!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm looking for some insight...  I am EBFing twins who are currently 10 weeks old and my DD is clicking while nursing, causing me a great deal of nipple soreness.  They were born at 36 weeks with no issues - both nursed straightaway without any problems (well, aside from the clicking!).  We have treated for thrush, have had her latch confirmed by 3 different LC, been evaluated by a speech therapist and have been to physical therapy in an attempt to "loosen her up" - nothing has worked, in fact it seems to be getting worse as she is now clicking on her paci and bottle.  Her weight gain has been fine so far.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am completely overwhelmed and feel like I've exhausted all my resources with nothing to show - I just don't know where else to turn.  With my older DS it took me 12 weeks to be pain free (Raynauds), but this time there is no end in sight.  With 3 under 3, I am short on time and energy and I just don't know what else to do.  Weaning her isn't an option for me, but I also know I can't live like this.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Does anyone have any advice???  Thank you so much...</p>

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
<p>I've heard of (and seen) this with a posterior tongue tie, it's when the flap that ties the tongue is located on the side or further back on the tongue rather than up front where it usually happens.  You'd have to run your finger around underneath the tongue the full way around to find if that was the cause, or better yet have it evaluated by a pedi or LC who is familiar with tongue tied situations.  I think this is fairly uncommon.</p>

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
<p>Yep, clicking is common in posterior TT, since babies cannot hold a suction. But, it also continued after DS's frenectomy because of his weak oral motor skills. The therapy helped but only time really strengthened his mouth muscles (jaw, tongue, and lips) enough to hold a latch. </p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts