Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey mamas! I'm new to the board- my name is Becki and I have 3 kiddos- a 9yo DS, a 6yo DS and a 5 1/2 month old DD. I really want to delay solids as long as possible- DS was recently diagnosed with multiple food allergies (they affect his stomach- eosiophillic esophagitis) so I have every reason to delay them. BUT- DD is really interested in food- she is showing all the readiness signs except sitting on her own (she's pretty close on that as well). I have given her rice cereal a couple of times and she gobbles it up- no tongue thrusting or spitting- she has eaten every bite each time. She has been non-stop nursing lately, so I am wondering if she needs something more to satisfy her. She is very healthy- 14.8 lbs, 26.25 inches so I know she is thriving on my milk alone, but I am starting to feel like I am depriving her by not giving her foods b/c she is so interested. I do let her drink water from my glass, and I will not consider formula. I am just at a loss as to what to do at this point. I know the draw backs to starting solids too early- but are there some kids who just need the solids earlier? I do plan to make my own foods, and will avoid all the foods my son is allergic too just in case (peas, corn, peanuts and soy). Any input would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks so much! I am looking forward to getting to know all of you! Becki

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Here is my totally non scientific opinion.......<br><br>
The drawback in starting early is that because if you start early and the babies digestive system is still immature, you run the risk of allergies, etc...you know this.<br><br>
Well, I think that a babies "readiness" inside can be indicated by their readiness outside. What I mean is........I tried to give my daughter cereal at six months and she DID the tongue thing and got constipated. That to me said that her INSIDES weren't ready.......her tummy needed more time. So, we gave it a couple months and then magically one day she was like your daughter.......she was TOTALLY interested and gobbled it all up. To me, that was a sign that her insides WERE finally ready.<br><br>
So, if I had a 5 month old whos outside was telling me he or she was ready, I probably wouldn't worry. The standard 4-6 month rule is because the AVERAGE babies digestive system is fully developed at that time. Your baby may just have fallen right smack dab into that average. And if her tummy is all ready, then it's less likely she'll get those food allergies.<br><br>
I say go with what your baby is showing you, but if your concerned take it slow and maybe just stick with the cereal for a month or more. Add in other foods as you feel comfortable.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I agree w/anothermama. Also, you might want to check out these 2 links re: food allergies to help guide you w/food choices. In addition, be careful w/comnercial baby cereals. Only Healthy Times and Beech-Nut are soy (big allergen) free.<br><br><a href="http://www.hallpublications.com/title2_sample2.html" target="_blank">Sequence of Adding Solid Foods for the Allergic Infant</a><br><br><a href="http://www.hallpublications.com/title2_sample1.html" target="_blank">Joneja Food Allergen Scale</a>

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>anothermama</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">Here is my totally non scientific opinion.......<br><br>
The drawback in starting early is that because if you start early and the babies digestive system is still immature, you run the risk of allergies, etc...you know this.<br><br>
Well, I think that a babies "readiness" inside can be indicated by their readiness outside. What I mean is........I tried to give my daughter cereal at six months and she DID the tongue thing and got constipated. That to me said that her INSIDES weren't ready.......her tummy needed more time. So, we gave it a couple months and then magically one day she was like your daughter.......she was TOTALLY interested and gobbled it all up. To me, that was a sign that her insides WERE finally ready.<br><br>
So, if I had a 5 month old whos outside was telling me he or she was ready, I probably wouldn't worry. The standard 4-6 month rule is because the AVERAGE babies digestive system is fully developed at that time. Your baby may just have fallen right smack dab into that average. And if her tummy is all ready, then it's less likely she'll get those food allergies.<br><br>
I say go with what your baby is showing you, but if your concerned take it slow and maybe just stick with the cereal for a month or more. Add in other foods as you feel comfortable.</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
I agree with every word anothermama said here... And the same thing happened w/the tonge-thrust and constipation with my dd too and we waited and the same as what she said...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts