Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my baby girl on November 10th @ 39 weeks.

Late friday morning I decided to go in and see if anything was happening. I was having contractions, but they weren't at all regular. My midwife was on call that day so I was pleased about that. I got checked and was 3 cm, still 70% effaced and -2. They were going to send me on my way after they got a more reactive strip. Since my next appt. was Tuesday and I was going to get stripped, she asked if I wanted to have it done before I left. I gladly accepted and to her surprise she can now easily stretch me to 4 cm and my bag was bulging. She said they would admit me if I was a solid 4 even if I wasn't in active labor.

I left with instructions to go walking for about two hours and get something to eat and come back for an exam. We walked around at Walmart for about 30 mins and got something to eat. We got back about 1:40 pm and I waited a while before being checked. Much to our surprise I was now 5 cm but not in active labor. I thought for sure I'd be going home since I didn't feel any different. She didn't feel comfortable sending me home and asked the OB on call about admitting me because they would essentially be inducing me if I didn't go into labor on my own. We got the okay, got settled in and waited some more. I was told to go walk for about an hour to see if that would get things going. So, we walked and walked and still no contractions, although I was having a nice backache and lots of pressure. After the walking I got checked and was 6 cm and was now time to start talking induction. My body wasn't sure what it wanted to do, so I was all for getting things going. She broke my water at 5:20 pm, was on the monitor 'til about 6 then I hopped on my birthing ball to see if it would help her descend, but with all the water gushing everywhere and me making a huge mess I decided to get back in bed.

By 6:30 contractions were coming every 4-5 mins but still not strong or consistent. My midwife suggested I take a hot shower to help stimulate labor, so at 7:00 pm it was shower time. Within 5 mins my contractions were 2-3 mins apart, but after 30 mins they still weren't very strong. Nurses came in at 7:45 pm to put me back on the monitor, left and came back at 8 because she wasn't as reactive and her heart rate kept dropping off the monitor. At 8:10 pm I was a "stretchy" 8 cm, -1, with a cervical lip. I was told she'd be here soon and if I wanted I could use the shower, but no birthing in it. Her last words before she left was that if I felt any pressure to let them know right away. The contraction I had just after she left was accompanied by pressure and with the next one, she was coming. She was gone only a few minutes and came rushing back in with the nurses frantically getting things together. This was the most intense part, all that darn pressure and trying to hold her in until they were ready. I now understand what "ring of fire" means, ouch!! So, after 2 hours of labor and 4 pushes Evangeline was born at 8:32 pm weighing 8 lbs 9 oz and 21 inches long.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Wow! Congratulations!! I wonder why they thought they had to induce you? You were doing great on your own. Was it because you were not in that much pain? It sounds like you labor uniquely. Whatever the case it sounds like a pretty great birth!

What a beautiful name! Welcome to the world Evangeline!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Isamama View Post
Wow! Congratulations!! I wonder why they thought they had to induce you? You were doing great on your own. Was it because you were not in that much pain? It sounds like you labor uniquely. Whatever the case it sounds like a pretty great birth!

What a beautiful name! Welcome to the world Evangeline!
Thank you!!

That was exactly why, lol. The same happened with my first, was given pitocin at 6.5 cm to get things going. She knew about my birth history but was still shocked at how things went. She wanted to break my waters because I wasn't in active labor yet, though technically I should have been.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
What a great birth story! It sounds like you had a wonderful and (relatively) easy birth.

I also don't understand, though. If you were progressing and not in pain, why AROM? Maybe your body is just fantastic at birthing and doesn't need tons of active labor contractions to dilate? I'm confused.
: It sounds like a great way to labor, though!

Any reason why you would need AROM or pitocin if you're dilating?

Julia

P.S. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romana9+2 View Post
What a great birth story! It sounds like you had a wonderful and (relatively) easy birth.

I also don't understand, though. If you were progressing and not in pain, why AROM? Maybe your body is just fantastic at birthing and doesn't need tons of active labor contractions to dilate? I'm confused.
: It sounds like a great way to labor, though!

Any reason why you would need AROM or pitocin if you're dilating?

Julia

P.S. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I think even though I explained to her how everything took place with my first, it still took her by surprise. When I *should* be in active labor and wasn't, I guess the next step was to try to bring it on by membrane rupturing. Not even the ROM put me into labor and I'm so glad she suggested the hot shower as to avoid pitocin. She did say the contractions I was having by transition still weren't what they deem as "strong" but they did the job just fine. I like to think RRL did a good job at toning my uterus to where it didn't have to work as hard to dilate me.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
That's so cool that your body dilates with such little effort. It's a shame the midwife didn't just want to trust your body though. Sounds like it would have done the job just fine on it's own. Thanks for sharing your story with us and congratulations! I love her name!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.