Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,<br>
We just adopted a kitten who was found with her littermates in a barn a few weeks ago. She and her siblings were being fostered and bottle fed and all looked to be in extremely good health when I visited. Our Ruby (est. age is 8 weeks) has been at our home for 3.5 days and is doing wonderfully.<br><br>
She has yet to see a vet so I just made an appt for her for Wednesday. The receptionist said they'll want to do a series of distemper shots and pretty soon they'll want to do rabies. They'll also want to do heartworm and Frontline. They'll also check for worms/parasites.<br><br>
I don't believe in over vaccinating animals, especially indoor-only cats. Can someone with a similar philosophy who is knowledgeable about cats please advise?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Well, I personally do not believe in using vaxes, for my DS, myself, or my pets. However, I personally found it impossible to find a regular vet who would agree to see my animals without vaxing them (including refusing to spay my cats unless I had them vaxed first, and generally treating me like crap for not wanting vaxes given to my pets). I happened to post here at Mothering to see what others had to say, and it was recommended to me that I seek out a holistic vet. I posted over in FYT, and was given the name of a highly recommended holistic vet near me. Switching to the new vet was the best thing I ever did. I don't know if you have holistic vets in your area, but it may be worth looking into to have more of a say on what kind of care you want your kitten to have. Congradulations on your new addition!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I am not totally against vaxes in animals but do believe in extreme moderation. I would recommend your taking a quick look at what you believe your kitten would be exposed to and going from there. A holistic vet is a great resource and something I would highly recommend. I gave puppy shots to my guys and then nothing else other than Rabies. My cat had shots as a kitten but nothing else. My DS isn't vaxed!

·
Premium Member
31,346 Posts
Vaccine Guide For Dogs and Cats, What Every Pet Lover Should Know is a book available at Amazon that will answer all your questions and then you can decide what is best based on your individual circumstances. I've never had a problem getting vet care for my unvaxed dogs.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I'm a vet tech, and I don't think that indoor-only cats should be vaccinated for anything. They have only the tiny risk of accidentally escaping and then the even smaller risk of coming into direct contact with a sick cat. Unless your cat has fleas, skip the Frontline, maybe unless you live in the South where fleas are everywhere. And I'd skip the heartworm treatment too. Maybe you should find another veterinarian who isn't so pushy with the chemicals - a holistic vet, as PP recommended.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts