Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have have not had a new kitten in 20 years... The last Kitten I had died a few years ago at 17 and we have had two other cats that were mature (over 5 and over 10) when we got them.

I tried to transition our adult cat to raw and he never took to it, but I knew that if we had a new kitten I would def. raw feed.

My FIL has a cat that had kittens on his property and we had said that we might take one... so he called this morning and said that he will be in the area and that if we would like it he would be bringing us one this morning... so in a few shorts hours we will have a new little kitten!

The kitten is just 8 weeks and has not been eating for long so I have a feeling that there should not be much of a transition to do... I do have questions though about quantity and what kinds of meat I should get...

Also, how do you litter train a kitten again? Do you just show them the litter box and keep on bring them to it? Man I feel out of sync!

· Registered
278 Posts
I am not too certain on how to advise you on the feeding (I'm a little unclear as to what you mean by raw food) but I can help you with the litter

We have two other cats who are older so for the first few days the kitten was home we kept him in our bathroom with toys, litter box, and food/water etc. LOL he now naps in there! It didn't last very long though as he soon realized all the fun was out here and meowed constantly till we let him out. We got rid of the litter box and the main floor but we unfortunately had problems with him going to the bathroom on the main floor whenever it was convenient for him (typical male eh?
)

We solved this by simply keeping an eye on him for a few days and when he looked like he was searching for a spot to go, rush him down to the litter box. It was only a few days of showing him and he then went on his own. I am not sure if he didn't know where the box downstairs was or he was just being lazy (having too much fun chasing the older cats) but the problem is all gone now. We've had him almost 5months and haven't had the problem return.

Good luck and have fun with your new kitty!!!

· Registered
3,106 Posts

· Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by buttercups.nest View Post
I am not too certain on how to advise you on the feeding (I'm a little unclear as to what you mean by raw food) but I can help you with the litter

Raw Food is pretty much raw meat... cats being carnivores don't need much more than meat, organs and bones to be their healthiest

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ola_ View Post
I feed raw to my dogs (don't have any cats), but let me see if I have some links that will help you. I've heard from many cat owners that kittens are the easiest to switch so it sounds like you're on the right track there!

http://rawfedcats.org/practicalguide.htm
http://www.rawfed.com/myths/cats.html
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawcat (this is a Yahoo group, I belong to the sister "rawfeeding" group and there are many knowledgeable folks to ask questions of)
Thanks for the links!! I had joined the yahoo group this morning... just waiting for tips now

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.