Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've rehomed one of our rescue kittens and gave our number in addition to our rescue's number if the new owner needed help. She's an older lady who has had a cat before. She called us this morning to tell us that the little kitten (8 weeks old) was hiding under the couch, wouldn't eat or drink, hasn't gone toilet, and is constantly crying. I could hear the kitten on the phone and she sounded really upset, like she was calling for Mom and Mom wouldn't come.

The kitten was definitely eating before we rehomed her, and Mom had well and truly weaned them. In fact, Mom is on heat (getting speyed Tuesday) and wants nothing to do with the little ones.

We really want this placement to work, as we had 9 cats, including the kittens, in a 2 bedroom house, and want to finish up this fostering commitment and wait until we're in a bigger place to do it again. Another kitten was rehomed several days ago and she is fine.

Any suggestions I can tell this lady on how to get the kitten quieted down and adjusted? How long can she go without food before somoene needs to eyedropper some milk into her mouth? Any suggestions would be helpful as we really want this placement to work for the sake of the kitten and ourselves.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Something my family always did when we got kittens was to put a litter box, some food and water in a bathroom along with some bedding for the first several days/nights. This familiarized the kitten with one room of the house (and us, as we would visit one at a time so we didn't overwhelm them and also protected them from our older cats) - that might help this poor kitten who sounds really scared. We usually didn't let them out the first day and night, and then would let them discover a different room each day after that - by the time we had them a week they were pretty much allowed to roam during the day and were in the bathroom at night, then by the next week they were allowed out at night too.

We were always found by stray kittens somehow who just moved in, but this never failed to train them and get them comfortable in our home before we let them roam free for most of the time. One of my cats favorite rooms is still the bathroom, he loves to follow us in there (rather my parents b/c I don't live at home anymore) and get cuddles and loves.

I hope it works out and you get more suggestions!

PS - putting the kitten somewhere small and not overwhelming may help encourage the kitten to eat as well, once she is more comfortable in a smaller environment she may eat on her own. I don't know how long she can go without eating - but it sounds like right now she's really scared.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the first thing I suggested, but the new owner kind of brushed it off. I'll suggest it again.

This is probably the biggest house the kitten has ever been in; they were confined in one bedroom of our 4 bedroom home when they were very young, followed by having the run of a very tiny 2-bedroom with small rooms.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thyra View Post
Something my family always did when we got kittens was to put a litter box, some food and water in a bathroom along with some bedding for the first several days/nights. This familiarized the kitten with one room of the house (and us, as we would visit one at a time so we didn't overwhelm them and also protected them from our older cats) - that might help this poor kitten who sounds really scared.
Thats pretty much what we do. We also try and make sure it is not a room the kitten can get under a couch or bed where we cannot get it.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Minky View Post
That's the first thing I suggested, but the new owner kind of brushed it off. I'll suggest it again.

This is probably the biggest house the kitten has ever been in; they were confined in one bedroom of our 4 bedroom home when they were very young, followed by having the run of a very tiny 2-bedroom with small rooms.
If she doesn't like the bathroom idea maybe suggest keeping her confined in a bedroom? Or another small room in the house?

If this is the biggest place she's ever been, and is a small kitten, she needs to get used to the smell of the house and the inhabitants before she'll feel comfortable.

You also might drop something off for her that smells familiar - maybe a blanket that the new owner can return in a few days - so that she will come out from under the couch and have something to remind her of "home" while she adjusts to the new place. I don't know if it would work, but its a thought.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The lady called back and said the kitten had calmed down and had taken some milk replacement, but still no food. I'm going to go over tomorrow with a blanket from home and hopefully help her find a place where the kitten can be confined until she's used to her new home. Thanks for the help; I'll keep you updated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.