Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

My name is Holly, I'm 24 years old and the Mama to Beatrix (almost two) and very newly pregnant with #2 (due in July). I am a work at home mom and own/operate meitaicarrier.com. I'm becoming interested in the forums mostly to hear other mamas experiences and advice regarding natural hospital births. Beatrix's birth was almost ideal as far as natural hospital OB-delivered births go. You can read our birth story here. I had a few nurses who clearly didn't respect me or my birth plan but it generally went well. One thing that I know I feel strongly about the second time around is not being hooked up to the monitors constantly- or at all. I hated it and found it restricting and the hospital wouldn't budge. I was a single mom at my first birth and didn't have anyone to advocate for me and wasn't brave enough to advocate for myself and simply say NO. I don't really know if that was an option or not. Anyway, we recently moved from Minneapolis to the San Francisco Bay Area and it will be nice this time around to have the luxury of being selective in my care provider and interviewing around. I would like to have a CNM or lay-midwife assisted birth at home or in a birth center this time but I am trying to be realisitic about the likelihood of that. I have a pre-existing heart condition that ruled me out of CNM care last time around (when I moved half way through the pregnancy- The first MW I saw was OK with caring for me and saw me as healthy- as did the hospital, my cardiologist, and a perinatal dr.). I am certainly OK with another natural hospital birth but I really want to explore my options this time. Thankfully I have a full 9 months to do that.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading other birth stories and getting advice about how to get what you want in your natural birth in a hospital setting.

Bea & my breastfeeding relationship was fairly uneventful (other than a 4 month case of horrible painful thrush that we nursed through). I weaned Bea at 17 months and felt like we had a very successful nursing relationship that met both of our needs. She was exclusively BF until about 10.5 months... she had absolutely NO interest in solids and vomited every time we tried them from about 6.5-10.5 months old, I think that having to nurse her around the clock for over ten months was really stressful on me and resulted in me weaning her a little before I'd planned, but overall I'm very, very proud of the my baby who grew QUITE fat on mamas milk.

Happy to be here!
-Holly

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Hi Holly! Welcome to MDC. I'm sure you'll find loads of support here on your homebirth journey. I don't know what your heart condition entails but I'd bet that you could still safely give birth at home. Check out the finding your tribe area if you need mw recommendations. Congrats on the new pregnancy!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hi, I don't know what part of Oakland you are in but it seems that most moms in the area deliver at Alta Bates in Berkeley which from what I can gather has a high percentage of c-sections. I know that you will need to get someone to advocate for you if you do deliver there especially if you have anything remotely near a "high-risk" pregnancy. There are a couple of midwifes in the area that I could recommend but I haven't used them for births-I do UC's-but they are very knowledgable etc. Welcome to the area...in my opinion "the best place on earth"

·
Registered
580 Posts
Welcome to MDC!!!

I'm originally from California. What I wouldn't give to have some of the options you have out there. Here in Nebraska, it's hospital or...... uh, hospital births, basically.

Jen

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
welcome holly!!!!

I grew up Berkeley-- whereabouts are you?

anyway, you will find tons of stories and support here.

--Vanessa

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by vanessab23 View Post
welcome holly!!!!

I grew up Berkeley-- whereabouts are you?

anyway, you will find tons of stories and support here.

--Vanessa

We're in Oakland right now but are looking to move to Benicia/Martinez area in about 4 months.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.