Mothering Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I know this was briefly mentioned a while back but I got <a href="http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/732947?src=mp&spon=9&uac=16443HR" target="_blank">something about it</a> in my inbox today. So the 2005 recommendation was for a single dose of conjugate vaccine in adolescence, with the assumption that duration of immunity was a good 10 years, which would get them through the peak incidence ages. Now, ACIP says they want teens to get a booster dose after 5 years. Since meningococcal meningitis is one of the diseases that terrifies people, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about the following points:</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block">
<div> immunity does appear to decline after 5 years ... within a year of getting the vaccine, it's in the low 90% range ... between 2 to 5 years after vaccination, although the numbers are fairly low and the confidence intervals are wide, it looks like the protection drops into the low 50% range</div>
</div>
</div>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>  </p>
<div> some evidence for herd immunity was expected, as had been seen for the conjugate <em>[Hib]</em> vaccine and the conjugate pneumococcal vaccine, but that didn't appear to be happening</div>
</div>
</div>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<div> The vote was only 6 to 5 ... Those who opposed it saw it solely as a financial question </div>
</div>
</div>

1 - 1 of 1 Posts