Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_152255.html

"Being developed by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Georgia Institute of Technology, the small patch is lined on one side with 100 tiny needles made of polymer, sugar, and vaccine. These microneedles are less than a millimeter long and are pressed into the skin with a thumb, the CDC researchers said. A study conducted by the CDC and Georgia Tech showed the patch produces a strong immune response in rhesus macaque monkeys without adverse effects. That finding cleared the way for trials involving people by 2017, the researchers said."

I wonder if these patches then reduce or eliminate the use of preservatives and adjuvents in the vaccine. If so, parents who don't vaccinate because of concerns about the other ingredients in vaccines might choose to vaccinate their children.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Someone in another group I'm in was wondering if these would be intended to replace the shot. Hopefully this would just be another option, in addition to the shot, since many people have local reactions to adhesives and might just prefer a jab.

Neat technology, though. I would love to see more options that address people's concerns about ingredients, and also needlephobia (which must be a huge issue, since it seems like a lot of the technology now is devoted just to eliminating needles).

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
That's awesome!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It doesn't say anything about adhesive, did I miss it? It sounds like it sticks on the skin with the tiny needles, kind of like velcro, and then when they dissolve it comes off.

I think needle phobia is a major issue for a lot of people who don't vaccinate.

And I love that this may bring vaccines to the remote areas of the world that need them so much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts