Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
I am a new Mom of a wonderful 23 week old daughter. I happened to stumble across this site when I was frantically looking for answers (for a hundreth time) in regards to feeding my daughter! If you have any suggestions or comments I would love to hear from you... here is my situation:

I am very determined to give my daughter breast milk until at she is at least a year old. From day one we have had all sorts of problems with breastfeeding. Ranging from not really having enough milk, never feeling a let down, to her being a very active and restless child when she nurses. I never really got down to the bottom of why she was really hard to nurse but we have made it this far with it anyway. While she is not under weight she is still a little light for her height. For a long time I had a really hard time nursing her at night because my supply was very low and she simply wasn't getting enough. I tried EVERYTHING to increase my supply enough (from nursing every hour and pumping to actually trying medication to jump start my supply). Finally I had to pump consistently throughout the day just to get one 4 oz bottle to give her at night! I think she finally got frustrated with nursing and she was very ready to start cereal and baby food around 2 1/2 months old. However, I held her off until she was almost 4 months old and when I gave her cereal for the first time she took to it like she had been eating it since she was born. To make a long story short she has been eating fruit and cereal two times a day since. Now my problem is she is not wanting to nurse any more! I even tried to pump all the time to get her bottles (it comes out faster and it use to appease her more). Now it just seems she takes a little over 1-2 ounces and then she doesn't want anything to do with it but is still hungry! So I have to give her cereal. If it were up to her I think she would just eat cereal 3 times a day and only nurse a little in the morning and a little right before bed. I can't image this is optimal! The other concern I have is she wants to eat A LOT of food. She never really stops and refuses to eat it by spitting it out or turning away. Once I tried to see when she would finally stop eating but it went as far as her eating 1.5 oz of cereal and two 2.5oz jars of food! And while she was slowing down, she still would have taken more! I know her stomach is only the size of her fist so how is she wanting all that! I thought she was going to get sick or have a tummy ache but she never seemed phased! So with all that said I am not sure what to do. I have tried to nurse her a little before cereal and a little after but she still wants a lot of actual food and when I try to nurse she constantly latches and delatches. I have read everything on the La Leche web site and everything I can get my hands on but it seems that most people have the opposite problem with food than I do. I don't know how much I should feed her or how to get her to take breast milk! I seem to only be able to get a little in her by nursing (and it is not very pleasant) and then a couple ounces in her cereal. And it is so hard to pump even enough for her cereal, it takes over an hour to get 2 oz. Well with all this said, if there is any advice you can give me or anywhere you can point me I would greatly appreciate it. I am sorry for this long message, I am getting desperate for my pediatrician keeps telling me to just give her 1-2oz of food 1-2 times a day and to continue nursing but she is so hungry! Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and giving any advice you can.

·
Premium Member
15,078 Posts
Welcome to MDC!

I know you will find lots of suggestions and information in the breastfeeding forum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.