Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI Iam excpecting my 1st son in March and recently decided to start looking into birthing centers as an option , I know very little about them other than some people have told me they are better for if you want to have a natural birth.. Also I was wondering if I do want my son circumcised , could i still do that without having him in a hospital? I live in Tucson and am a military wife , so we have tricare and im not even sure that they cover birth centers, but i want to find out any information i can on them anyhow.. Any advice on where to look would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Melissa ,loving wife to Dan, expecting baby #1 in March

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Hello there and
welcome! Birthing centers are a wonderful option. Have you started seeing a midwife yet? They are sometimes affiliated with certain birthing centers and I am sure you will be able to get all of the financial information that you need directly from them.

Also, you might want to check out the "Case Against Circumcision" forum here. Particularly the sticky "Web Resources". It contains great up-to-date information on circumcision. Most parents are choosing against it these days, really it does a lot more harm than good.

Congratulations on your babe-to-be.
Enjoy!
Tara

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Hi Melissa!

How wonderful that you're looking into your birthing options. I highly recommend reading Ina May Gaskin's book: Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. Another book you would enjoy is A Good Birth, A Safe Birth. That one contains all kinds of great information about your options for your childbirth experience.

Pick up your local phone book and start calling midwives. Also call your insurance carrier and see if they cover any midwives, or if they'll work with you on covering out-of-network midwives. And when you meet with a midwife, bring a printout of questions you'd like to ask her (I believe there are some great lists of questions in both those books I mentioned). That way you can make sure you're getting the birth experience you want.

God bless, and enjoy your pregnancy!!

·
Registered
424 Posts
I positively second Ina May's Guide To Childbirth- it was the single most helpful book that I read during my pregnancy... Specifically the part on "sphyncter law" (lol, sp??) - my entire labor I was reminding myself to stay relaxed and telling my cervix it could open up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey thanks to you all! I will check that out and the book too! I havent found a midwife yet , ive been seeing an OB off base and im just not sure that is the way i want to go... im just not sure that i will be comfortable with her and the whole hospital experience.. i did call around a bit today(then got sidetracked ) so i will get back to that tomorrow! thank you again , i get the feeling i will be on this site quite a bit , its great!

Melissa

·
Premium Member
15,078 Posts
Just wanted to say Welcome to MDC!

I know you will find the answers you are looking for. There are so many wonderful people here. Glad you joined us.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Welcome, and congratulations on your pregnancy!
I had my first 2 kids in a hospital, and my 3rd one in a birthing center. No comparison! I would get pregnant again just to be able to go back to my midwife and the water birth at the birthing center. Definitely check out your options in regards to the out-of-hospital birth.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Congratulations & welcome. I wish I had been as savvy as you and many others here in looking into different birthing options.
I second the earlier recommendations of Ina May Gaskin's books, and recommend having your partner and any other support folks read them too if the book speak to you. Another very readable book is "The Baby Catcher" by midwife Peggy Butcher.
I had two natural births at Alta Bates hospital in Berkeley, CA. My decision to go the hospital route was entirely based on financial/ insurance ease - you just can't beat a $10 co-pay! If you end up going the hospital route for these reasons, but know you want a more natural birth I think it is super important to have a clear birth plan and to have your partner/ support folks assist you in advocating for the type of birth you want. In my case I shared my plan with my OB ahead of time and was prepared knowing rates of c-sections, pain meds and other interventions for both my OB and the hospital, and all went well - especially the second time round. Good luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts