Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It started around 10:30pm last night, 7wk DS started getting Really cranky. DH came home from work and I was so happy because usually he knows what to do. But DS would not settle down for him either. He wasn't crying he was just *anxious* about something. We tried everything we could think of to calm him down. I thought that maybe he was overstimulated because my SIL and her 3yr old son is staying with us.<br><br>
Let me digress a moment. I was so glad when she announced she was coming to *help* but her son is one of the most meanest and spoiled child I have ever met. He is extremely attractive and I'll bet he gets away with a lot because of his looks. He is also intensely jealous of my son. I do understand he himself is a baby but some of the things that my SIL let him get away with is unbelievable. He forbade her to not *hold* the baby. He said to her "you are mommy, she is his mommy, so give the baby back to her and let me sit in your lap" She did. I mean, I know her own child comes first, but if this is the way it is going to be then go home! Now here is what really scares me, this is how jealous her son is. Last night, SIL and I were in the kitchen cleaning up making formula bottles. I had put DS in my bedroom so that could keep him in view. I just happen to see a little human being scurry into my bedroom (where it was dark) and closed the door. I went in right behind him. He was standing over my son with a basketball in his hand. He had this guilty look on his face and I told him (in a nice voice) "come out and let DS sleep okay?" SIL had this worried look on her face and said "he went in there to beat up the baby" I thought she was joking but she did not smile. (They have got to go)!There are more issues but I won't linger because they leave on Wednesday.<br><br>
Back to the story. DS was crankly ALL NIGHT LONG and DH and I were just passing him back and forth trying to figure out what was wrong with him. We were so sleep deprived. I was even angry at DS. But then I immediately felt guilty about being angry at a defenseless baby and I cried.<br><br>
Finally around 7am this morning, he kept scrunching up his little legs and bending over. So I picked him up and put him on my chest and then I heard it. He let out the biggest BM. (sorry if tmi). And he finally fell asleep. It turned out he was extremely gassy. I felt so bad for him.<br><br>
So, my question to you is, does your little one seem like something is wrong in the middle of the night and you are frustrated because you don't know what is wrong and you are exhausted from trying to find out. Does it get better than this? DH and I have not had any sleep. Please share with me your experience(s).

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Yes, it will get better. He will sleep better eventually. If he is gassy maybe his formula doesn't agree with him? Might be something to check into. HTH.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Hi new mommy! It does get better! I have a 15 week old boy (first baby) and I can guarantee that it will get better. My little guy (I breast feed) has gas and reflux so I often struggle with periods where he wakes up a lot or won't sleep for several hours. He was really really fussy at 6-7 weeks and I think it was a growth spurt. Yes, it's tough when you don't get sleep. Maybe some people don't lose their cool or get frustrated but I know i do. My DH works nights so I am on my own most times. If you don't get sleep night after night, you are sleep deprived which really is a tough thing to deal with! Then you get these stretches where your little baby won't stop crying and crying and you are just so tired - it's tough. I found the best thing for me was to pull my little one into bed with me. I am trying to focus entirely on my baby and let other things slide. It's frustrating but it makes it easier to cope when you are tired. My DH says to lower your expectations about sleep ... if you don't expect a full night's sleep for a few years, maybe it is easier to cope?<br>
Just wanted to let you know that day by day, it does get easier.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hang in there! I know how hard it can be. My 14 month old finally started sleeping through the night at around 12 1/2 months old, so I have had months of interrupted sleep. The good news is, you will start to get used to it. Your hormones will even out. Your life will fall into something of a pattern. You will learn how to read the different types of fussy and upsets that your baby has and you'll know what to do (most of the time). Your anger is normal and so is your frustration. Your tiredness is normal. Your baby is normal. You are a fine mother. It will get better.<br><br>
Send your SIL and her son home. You don't need that kind of help. Baby's pick up on energy in the home and respond to it. So, negative energy can lead to a fussy, cranky baby. Positive energy is always better to have around... even if it means you have less "help" around.<br><br>
Take care,<br>
Christine

1 - 4 of 4 Posts