Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just moved last week. I have low supply issues and like to weigh my baby every week or every other week. In ohio I weighed her at my midwives every wensday and my ped weighed her every other week (mondays). So finally today I call the only ped within 10 miles and ask for a weight check. They ask her age and I tell them she will be 6 months on the 4th, they tell me they can fit me in on the 14th. I said thats too long, they said that they need me to come in after the 4th so she can get her 6 month shots!!!
: I did not call about shots, I called about useing their freaking scale! so I tried to disagree and quickly get back on topic (weight) but she seemed to catch it and mentioned something about having to get shots.
: I was careful as to what I said because I didnt want to even verbally agree to them. I did agree to an appt in aug with the doc so they can have thier 'new paitient evaluation' thingy, but when she said "Ill see you on aug 9th for her checkup and shots" I was careful not to say "ok" and blanket an agreement to it all, instead I just said "I will be there on aug 9th". They told me I can also come in tomorrow or fri and "one of us will weigh her". I just hope we dont get into vaxes then, if so I will try to avoid it. I just dont know what to do or say to the ped when we see him. I freaked out about this with my old ped too, but I got my old one because of a refferal about them being vax choice friendly.

so anyway, is there anythign I can do or say? I know they are going to think of me weird when I walk in the door and the whole homebirthing, bfing (even with issues), bwing, non-vaxing stuff is possibly going to get me kicked out or at least lectured. If I have to walk out in the middle I will. But is there anything else I can do? I have said a lot of things to doctors, but this totally freaks me out........

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
You sound nervous. Nervous people often do things they wish they hadn't, like vaccinate! This office sounds very mainstream (the nurse mentioned shots twice).
: Do NOT go!

Skip the doctor's office visit and buy yourself a scale and weigh her at home.

Find a midwife locally that might be kindly towards your weighing desires and talk to her about scheduled weigh-ins.

Or, find a shipping place (UPS store or some printing shops offer shipping services). Bring in baby and some cookies and ask if you could do a quick weight check on their scale (with cookies as payment). Can't hurt to ask.

If you feel you must bring her to this particular doctor for weighing this week, do it. IF they bring up the subject of vaccinations, tell them you forgot
and don't have her shot records with you and your previous doctor selectively vaxxed. You have no idea, off the top of your head, just which vaccines she's had
: , and you know they wouldn't want to double any doses needlessly
: . Smile and plead brain fog
, but you'll call them with an vax update later. You know:

·
Registered
936 Posts
HAve you considered buying a weight scale? I bought one for 80.oo of the internet because of the same issues as you. Its great peace of mind to have that weight scale.

Ds really slowed in his weight around 8 months, so it was nice to have it. Also, you can rent a weight scale at hospitals that have Lactation Consultants on staff.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
I third the weigh her yourself.

You don't need to be taking a baby into a filthy office to have them do something you can easily do yourself.

Get a note book and jot down the date and what her weight.

You don't need to be bullied into vaccines, and they sound like they are very hard nosed about vaccines.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Stick your baby on one of scales in the produce section of your grocery store.

Stay strong. Do not let the Ped and staff intimidate you. You are your baby's mother and know what is best. Repeat that you aren't going to vax and that it isn't up for discussion. When the Ped drones on, tune out.

Or you can go in this week and have one of them weigh her and then never return.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did buy a scale on ebay a while back, but it was misadvertised and I got mad and sent it back (although I kinda wish I had kept it now because it prolly would of been 'good enough').

I would NEVER vax just because they said so they woudl have to hold us both down physically to do it and I think thier ins covers assult charges. I just HATE needles and am partly afraid that I will freak out when they bring out the shots and hit someone or something like that. (I will use needles when they are actually needed though). and I am preaty sure my ins doesnt cover assult either...

CPMs are illigal here, but thats what I did in ohio. it was great. they actually have a library at thier office and part of it is just on vaxes.
Also my ins doesnt cover CPMs even if there were some here and if they charged for scale use. And accordign to my ins webpage there are no CNMs within 40 miles. There is a CLC very close by and I want to go see if she has a scale she would let me use, but she is on vacation until the end of July. I also kinda liked being able to talk to my ped about it in ohio. He was cool. at her 4 month appnt (her lowest chart weight yet) my mil was there and she asked the ped about adding rice to my daughters diet. he said it wouldnt hurt, but stressed that it really wouldnt help either and that milk was better anyway.
I prolly wont get that with this ped.

I will take her in this week, but I know that they wont actaully do the vaxes since I dotn have a real appointment or anything. I guess I will just have to see.....
I like going to the ped though just because its somewhere to go, a way out of the house.........

I do write down all her weights and where they were on her blog. And I printed out the who 0-6month chart and plotted all the diffrent weights and each scale had a diffrent colour marker. it looks neat
I l already miss my old ped.....

the problem with the never returning is that what do I do next week?

I like the produce idea, but my husband would be the biggest problem there, he would have an issue with mixing other peoples food and our baby etc.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Well I wouldn't discuss my child's vax status with anyone but the doctor. If the nurse or any other staff member brings up the vax issue, I would smile and politely say that "I would be happy to discuss my child's medical treatment with his/her physician".
: Then with the MD, I would say "I'm religiously opposed to vaccination" like a mantra over and over again until I am not challenged anymore. Really, I've never had to say "I'm religiously opposed to vaccination" more than 2 or 3 times. Usually after the second time they realize I'll reapeat that phrase like a toddler repeats "no" and they give up.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Just wanted to add that it *might* not be as big of a deal as you're expecting.
A little different than a Ped, but when I first started back on WIC (DS was 18 months or so) they kept harping on vax this and vax that..."we need his vax records"..."make sure you bring his vax records next time!" etc etc..
I was a little worried I was gonna get told that I couldn't get WIC without him having his shots, or a major lecture.
Turned out when I just said straightforward that he hadn't had any shots and we weren't doing them, they were like "Oh, ok, we'll write that down then" with a smile.

I was really surprised!

Anyway, I hope everything goes ok...you can always just tell them that you're not doing shots *right now*, and maybe they'll accept that better.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I wish you lived near me!! We just did a little "weigh in" with my postal scale and all the kiddos in my playgroup last week. Most of us don't do WBV so no one knew how much their babies weighed, and we have a lot of new babies!! It was pretty fun!

We got our scale on Ebay and I love it. It's digital and goes up to 80 pounds. I think we paid something like $50 for it. It has already paid for it's self multiple times in saving me trips to the post office!!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
they told me to bring her vax records (along with ins forms etc), I would bring in my copy of the refusal form I signed but I dont know where it is (since we just moved).

her last ped had nurses that seemed to assume that we would get vaxes. even the ped mentioned them once in a 'too early right now' kinda way (6 weeks). but when it was finally 'time' she just asked if we were going to do them or not, but that was also on a refferal as to who was good with bfing and who was non-vaxing friendly. this nurse seemed millitant about it. of course she also got stumped when I asked about what they normally do with low weight gain babies when she said the doctor doesnt do weight checks every other week on anyone.
of course if that is true then maybe they dont know much about low supply/low weight gain and will be of no help anyway........

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
What state are you in? All states have exemptions to vax. All you need to do is print out the law in your state and bring a copy with you to the doctor's appointment. Some states allow philisophical exemptions, and all but two allow for religious exemptions. Simply follow the letter of the law and they cannot say anything. Oh and I wouldn't sign any "refusal to vaccinate form" that they provide you. Personally I wouldn't sign any; I doubt the law requires that. If they insist on one, I would draw it up myself and then sign it. Good luck to ya!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
i second calling WIC to see if you could go in every week and use their scale to weigh dd. even if you are not eligible for wic, they may be able to let you come in for a few minutes just to use the scale. have *both* you and WIC keep the record of her weight at each visit. i would have someone else have the same weight info on file to potentially save your butt. you really never know when someone would call CPS because they think you are odd for not giving birth in a hospital, using cloth diapers, cosleeping, etc. you dont want CPS seeing that your dd is in the 10th percentile for weight and have them think you are starving her, even though her weight has been in that percentile her whole life. anyone can come up with a notebook full of weights and dates. kwim?
the LLL idea is also a good one. i'm sure they get calls every day from nervous moms who have low supply, and i'm sure they would be more than happy to help you. and if they do have a scale and you do the notebook thing, have one of the leaders sign it too to verify the weight.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the nearest LLL I know of is about 45 min away. I havent been yet since I just moved here but I prolly will. I think they know more about low supply because n the LLL site it says one of the leaders sells SNSs. afaik the nearest wic is a little farther away. the lowest % shes been was under (cdc 2000 chart) and she was in the 3-5% for the most part. she was born in the 50%, but lost a lb in the first 3 days and took forever gaining it back.

do you think haveing a LLL leader or a wic person sign off on her weights is nessasary? where I was living before all this stuff really wasnt 'odd' but now I am living in a state that bans CPMs, and where most people havent even heard the word "vegitarian". its almost a culture shock for me. we will only be in this place for a few months though......

·
Registered
748 Posts
Just wanted to jump in and say not to forget about family doctors. IME family doctors have been way more tolerant to not vaxing than peds are and they may even be open to weight checks w/o having to pay, and - most importantly - w/o being harassed about vaxes.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tash11
do you think haveing a LLL leader or a wic person sign off on her weights is nessasary? where I was living before all this stuff really wasnt 'odd' but now I am living in a state that bans CPMs, and where most people havent even heard the word "vegitarian". its almost a culture shock for me. we will only be in this place for a few months though......
i would do it to cover your butt, and i dont mean to scare you. there have been enough threads on here about families being reported to child services because a neighbor, doctor, etc didnt agree with a family's lifestyle. (look at abraham with his natural treatments to hodgkins.) it sounds like you're in a pretty mainstream area, and you really never know who may call child services just because they think you were nuts for giving birth at home or other "alternative" ideas.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
You can get a scale at various resale shops.Another option is you on a scale with baby,then you on it without the baby to note the difference. Our doctor is now an hour away.I might go in once a year for a check,and I give him the run down of weight,ht,and various illnesses/injury the kids might have had. Best wishes finding a nice place.Some time staff/nurses can be far more annoying than the doctor!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts