Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I don't post very often but have gotten a lot of good information off this site and thought I'd see if I could get some good advice.

My DD is almost 22 months now and has been sleeping well in her crib for almost a year now. Up until about a month ago bedtime was a pleasant thing that involved a bath around 7, reading books and a happy girl saying "night, night" as I or DH left the room around 7:30. Unfortunately things have been going downhill lately.

She basically starts crying and fussing from the moment we take her upstairs for her bath. She seems to only want to sleep in the "big bed" in her room (our spare bed for visitors), though once there she will just continue to play and will not go to sleep. I feel like she is too young to move into a toddler bed at this point, especially since she won't go to sleep when out of the crib. She seems like physically she is not tired at all, though mentally she acts overtired. We don't know whether to try moving her bedtime earlier or later. It is definitely lighter in her room now due to the seasons, so maybe that is a possibility.

Anyway, we feel like we don't know what else to do. Has anyone gone through a similar situation?

Thanks,
Melissa

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Could you put the big bed on the floor, and that way it's safer for her?

Also, at around that age, my DD got much more aware and wanted to make sure we were with her when she was falling asleep. Perhaps she needs someone there with her, now that her awareness is developing more and more.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
when are her naps? with my older dd, i always knew that she was napping too long when she wasn't ready for bed around 7 pm. i don't think that is too early for a toddler bed, or a mattress on the floor. the crib may be too firm for her now. you could take everything out of the room and put the mattress on the floor for her. try altering your routine to allow her time to "wind down" as she needs to. maybe reading a book or rocking isn't what she needs right now.

that age is really hard, but it will get easier soon. once she starts comprehending and is able to speak in sentances that will help her to let you knwo what is going on.
g/l!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice ladies! I do think I may try the big bed on the floor tonight. Last night was another hour of crying and it's really killing me. When I'm holding her she is still crying but mostly just a whimper. It's when I try and lay her down that she really lets loose.

I do think she is wanting me there more now than she used to. At least with the big bed (instead of a kids bed) I can lay down with her and try to settle her that way. Let's just hope she doesn't see it as extended playtime (as she did the other times we've tried). I'm also a little nervous about her waking up in the middle of the night and I'm not there anymore. I guess it's just another transition...

To answer Black Orchid's question, she usually naps around 1 and will sleep for about 2 hrs. Sometimes less, and occasionally for 3 hrs. She typically will complain about taking a nap, saying she doesn't want to do it, but she doesn't cry (or only until I close the door). Nothing has changed with her naps lately, but maybe that has something to do with it...

Thanks again everyone! Hoping for a peaceful bedtime this evening!
Melissa

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.