Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.genengnews.com/news/bnitem.aspx?name=9197914

Quote:
Agilent Technologies (NYSE:A) today announced a new technique developed by a team of University of California at Davis (UCD) and Agilent scientists that enables rapid, detailed analysis of the composition of a group of bioactive molecules in breast milk.

Oligosaccharides (OGs) comprise the third-largest solid component of breast milk, following lactose and lipids. More than 200 OGs have been identified in recent decades, but, until now, there has been no way to measure their presence in an individual sample in a single test or run.
and

Quote:
OGs have evolved to be the third most abundant component in human milk, even though they have no direct nutritive value to the infant.

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
Well yea, all those fabulous probiotics gotta have something to eat!

Quote:
"A recent hypothesis suggests that they could be determining factors in the development of intestinal bacteria and mucosal immune system. Our team's newly developed technique paves the way for further research into oligosaccharide function in human development."

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't help but wonder if we'll soon see formula labeled "Now with Oligosaccharides!"

·
Registered
236 Posts
I remember hearing about oligosaccharides in the LLL podcast from Dr. Stephen Buescher about the anti-infective properties of breastmilk. If I recall correctly the oligosaccharides are very important to the anti-infective properties, but as it is early and I haven't had my coffee and I am in a Sudafed induced fog that is about as coherent a thought as I can put together at the moment. I'll be relistening to that podcast at the dentist today though!

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's really interesting! Hope you feel better soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.