Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>We relocated to Bend from Reno about a month ago and it's time to get out and meet some people.  My little man needs some kiddo interaction and I need a life!  I am looking into the Bend AP group, La Leche League, MOPS, MMOCO...any honest opinions/preferences?  I've read on other threads to avoid COPA if you are delaying/skipping vaccines.  Any recommendations for good providers?  We are happy to be here, this place has so much personality.  Hopefully will meet some other MDC members soon!</p>

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
<p>Welcome!  I know nothing about moms groups as I am a homebody. :)  There are a few of us Bendites on MDC though, and I'm sure someone will chime in with some suggestions.  I can recommend midwives though if you are ever in need of one!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Kat</p>

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
<p>Avoiding COPA is sound advice.  Their practice permanently destroyed any faith I had in well-child visits.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We loved Dr. Walhof when we lived there, and she does strictly housecalls!!  She doesn't bill insurance though, but she gives a receipt that you can send to your insurance company for reimbursement for an out of network provider.  She's very supportive of natural alternatives, etc, and I got no guff on DS's non-vax status (she doesn't give vaccines anyway).  Her website is: <a href="http://www.dwalhofmd.com/index.htm" target="_blank">http://www.dwalhofmd.com/index.htm</a> .  The housecalls are so nice during cold and flu season!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My experience with the LLL there was that it was very clique-ish.  But if they accept you into the fold then it could prove to be a great support in an area without a lot of options.  I'd certainly at least try it out, but it was very different than the LLL meetings I've attended elsewhere.  To each their own though!</p>
<p> </p>

·
Premium Member
3,877 Posts
<p>welcome to bend!</p>
<p>I was just coming on to post a favorable review of Mosiac medical, especially Dr. Nix. we had our very first well baby visit with her yesterday (my son is almost 2.. we were at COPA but I was so put off by stories I had heard of them that we never actually scheduled a visit..) She was very nice and non-pushy. She did send me home with a list of places to get vax propaganda, but she was non-pushy about it!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>i know one of the mmoco organizers but have not joined. it is a good way to meet people- they have tons of members and tons of events. I think you have to attend a certain amount of events each month or you are dropped from the group. I can't remember, but I think its 2/month. </p>
<p>I have a good friend who is involved with the AP group as well. Likewise, I've not been too active in that group either. I have gone to a baby play date or two..</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Never made it to a local LLL meeting. I don't know anything about MOPS. </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts