Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Mamas, I am in the process of switching to cloth (my dd is just about 4 months old). As of right now, we are only using 1-2 CD's a day (while I am building my stash).

Today, dd had a huge explosion and I am trying to figure out the best way to go about cleaning poopy diapers. First, I rinsed with cold water and got off as much as I could. She has BF-only poo (sorry if TMI) so a lot of it stayed in anyways. Then I put it in the pail and tried to clean off the cover as best as I could.

Secondly, we live in an apt. complex, so washing will be a bigger deal than it would be if we had our own machine. I'll have to pay to do a cold wash, then a hot wash, then the dryer. I plan on sunning out as many stains as I can (with lemonjuice...I heard it helped). I saw the other thread suggesting a portable washing machine, and those look cool, but I don't know if I can convince dh it's worth the money (especially since I'm spending most of my money on building up my stash right now).

Am I doomed to be up to my elbows in baby poo? Should I try disposable liners? Please...advice, opinions, instructions. Anything is helpful

·
Registered
454 Posts
What kind of diapers are you using? I rarely ever have had poop blowouts with cloth, however the few times I've used disposables...BAM! poop everywhere!
I really have not had much of an issue with poop stains either. They do sun out rather well. I've been CD-ing for 2.5 years now and only have a couple of diapers that look a little icky, and those have probably been used well over 100 times!!!

·
Registered
12,040 Posts
Just scrape off as much as you can, sometimes I dunk it in the toilet and swish it around a few times and that helps. I don't do an extra rinse in the washer. There was a thread on here a while back about washing once on hot (longest cycle) and I tried it, it worked just fine.

You could try a fleece-topped liner, if you want a liner. Sometimes its easier to scrape poop off fleece.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We just had another blowout
...as I was nursing her so it got all over my pants too
. We were quick to soak and scrub off my pants and her clothes, so luckily the stains are minimal. Now they are soaking in cold water and soap in the tub.

Both times, we were using a prefold with a soaker and a cover. Do you think a pocket diaper would be better for blowouts? I don't really understand pockets..I mean yeah the pee soaks through to the insert, but the poop will all still be stuck on top of the pocket.

I don't wanna get frustrated so early on, but I feel like I'm dealing with poop more than I should be. I mean, the cleanup just now took 15 minutes. Will I have to do that every time she poops?

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Are you securing the prefold with a snappi or pins? I do think there's a little bit of a learning curve to getting the prefolds on nice and snug around the legs to keep poop from escaping. My breastfed dd is one who only poops every few days, but when she goes...look out, it's a BUNCH at once. Even with her explosives, we never have leaks onto clothing except in the rare instance that she's wearing a disposable, then it's a mess bigtime. I use almost all prefolds, either pinned or snappied and the poop rarely even gets on the covers. I use angel fold, jelly fold, and bikini twist all with no leaks. Are you familiar with any of these? It's important to get a really nice snug fit around the legs. I pin the diaper on very tight, then it loosens where it's not uncomfortable but it's still snug and secure.

·
Banned
122 Posts
Sorry, I have no advice for young CDing.. we just started in September and DS is 20 months now... but we have a babe due SOON so I like reading everyone's suggestions

About poop in the diapers... I spray off ALLLL of the poop.. I don't leave ANY behind.. Personally, I could never put poop into a bucket and then into a washing machine without feeling yucky about it lol... We have a diaper sprayer (found on eBay or MANY CDing websites)... I plan on spraying off all the BF poop too. We have no stains at all and DS still has really mushy poops (he's a really picky eater and eats a lot of fruit.)

·
Registered
775 Posts
I recently made some pockets, and they are okay - just what you get used to I suppose...either way, CPF, pocket or fitted I don't have issue with poo leaks. When we first started, we had problems with leaks beacause I was just laying the dipe in the cover. Now I Snappi or pin, generally use the angel wing fold. It makes gussets which help contain the poo.

As for washing, right now I drop the dipes in a dry pail. Wash every couple days, rinse, wash with purex, rinse & dry. Very simple.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.