Mothering Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am new to MDC and relatively new to cloth diapering. I am a SAHM with a 9 month DD. We have been using fuzzi bunz and bumgenius pocket diapers. I love them although have gotten no support from relatives including dh. My question involves diaper ointment. I read that diaper ointment is a no-no, but have also read that burt's baby bee ointment is ok. I have bought and have started to use this ointment, but it has been leaving ointment residue on the diapers.<br>
Is the burt's bee ointment ok to use? will it ruin my cds?<br>
Is there a good way to get out the ointment?<br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Congrats on switching to cd! Maybe your family will be more supportive once they get used to it...<br><br>
I don't think you're supposed to use diaper creams with FBs or any dipe of that style b/c the residue can build up and cause the dipes to repel the moisture rather than allowing it to pass through to the inserts...<br><br>
That said I have two suggestions...<br><br>
1. I think you can strip the dipes to get the residue out...unfortunately I don't know how to go about doing this...I've just heard friends talk about it b/c they have hard water and so it causes repelling too...I know the mamas on here know how to strip dipes so I'm sure someone will fill you in....<br><br>
2. If your dc needs diaper cream then maybe you can just cut some pieces of fleece from the fabric store and lay those on top of FB surface so that the cream would only touch the extra fleece which could be discarded and cheaply replaced as needed. That's what I've done with my prefolds (so ds stays drier and more comfy while wearing them) and will do with my HPs and BGs if he needs cream.<br><br>
Also, try nakey time...that really heals the rash quickly!

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Dipe Cream is a big no no here at our house. I had to spank dh's butt last night for using it w/out a liner! LOL I always make sure to use a fleece liner in our FB's for rashes (usually he gets them from teething). I bought mine for $1 each on hyenacart. I love them! I have like 6 in my rotation and that seems to work (I also put one in his night time dipe just to help him be more comfortable).

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
what about the desitin creamy (as opposed to the thick never-coming-off one?) Would that leave a residue? Thats what I have, but I havent used it w/ my diapers yet. I do know that it is way easier to wash off of my hands and DD's bum. It doesnt have that greasy consistency.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am pretty sure destin would be bad for the cds.<br><br>
I don't know why I didn't think of using a liner. I will get some of those. Thanks!!<br>
I haven't used a lot of ointment.. so there isn't much residue on them, but last night my dd's grandma did.. i forgot to tell her. I will strip that one I guess!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Congrats on switching to cd! Maybe your family will be more supportive once they get used to it...QUOTE]<br><br>
Thanks for the congrats! I really wanted to start from the beginning, but lack of support and working part time.. I didn't do it.. Now I wish I had. Oh well.. Better late than never!<br><br>
DH thinks I am completely crazy and says he will never change any cloth diaper. That is fine with me.. he never changed many to begin with!!

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
Welcome!<br>
We use diaper rash salve that we bought from: NorthernEssence.com<br>
It hasn't left any residue on any of our dipes (fuzzi-buns, pocket change, and BumGenius). We got a sample when we ordered diapers and really like it. She even makes one for more sensitive bums without teatree oil.<br><br>
Corn starch also works really well, too. It dries the rash out. Just sprinkle some on the rash.<br><br>
Good luck!

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
A friend of mine swears by using breastmilk on rashy bums. She said it works better than any ointment. I can't imagine breastmilk hurting diapers.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I use a fleece liner with all my dipes so I can use what ever cream I like. I really like burts bees but over night I use Vaseline (not the best but my DS who is 4 has never had a rash so I dont want to mess with it for DD).

·
Registered
144 Posts

<br><br>
Corn starch also works really well, too. It dries the rash out. Just sprinkle some on the rash.<br>
QUOTE]<br><br>
This works, also for worse rashes, I use "Herbal Savvy" from Country Comfort, I have found it at many health food stores. It has Goldenseal and Myrrh and can be used for: burns, cuts, ecsema, hemorrhoids, infections, etc.. It doesn't say diaper rash but that is what I have always used it for. It clears up so fast and isn't thick and sticky like desitin. The goldenseal and myrrh have a lot of healing properties. This is a must have in our house.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts