Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

My first baby is due in August and I've just placed my first couple of diaper orders online, but I'm really not sure what I'll actually need for a newborn. So far, I've bought 2 doz CPFs, 4 covers (bummi snap and velcro wraps), 6 NB Kissaluvs, rice paper liners (not sure if I really need these), and 1 doz wipes.

Would you experienced mamas out there reccommend buying something special for night time? And do you think I'll need more covers, fitteds and AIOs for a newborn or do you think she will grow out of them too fast and wouldn't be worth the cost?

Any thoughts and advice would me much appreciated!!

·
Registered
644 Posts
It's been so long since I've cd'd a newborn...
It looks like you have a *really* good start on a stash there! The only thing I might recommend is another cover or two. And perhaps you could invest in a wool cover? I started out using prowraps (similar to bummis I think?) and the big bummer was that the wrap would smell of urine after only one use unless you rinse them out and hang to dry, which is kind of a PITA. Wool is so nice because you can use it over and over and no odor!

HTH! And congratulations!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Congratulations! It was all so overwhelming to me too (well, it still is at times). You have a good start, I'd say maybe a couple more covers (maybe a wool one?). Maybe some more wipes? Those little babies make a lot of poop
Welcome to the board. You'll pick up a lot of good advice over here.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts

...more wipes mama...definetly more wipes. :LOL I think wool is also a great way to go.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
I agree about more wipes. I would say have 3 dz total. For a nb, the usual recommendations are 3 dz diapers and 6-8 covers. For nighttime, you won't really need anything special till the baby stops pooping at night.
I started using small Fuzzi Buns w/ Bret when he was a couple mo old.

I think you should get another dz prefolds and a couple more covers, plus 2 dz more wipes. Don't forget a pail and pail liners! And a wipes warmer

Forgot to say

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
More wipes!!! I started out using infant prefolds and proraps and we really liked it except the covers (inside) would get poopy a lot because prefolds don't have elastic in the legs...we ended up loving Fuzzi Bunz for the baby (I had 4 smalls) ... because we were so extremely tired and they were so easy to use. For this baby I've already bought 2 more smalls and 2 x-small Fuzzi Bunz to save our sanity. I'm also trying wool out on the new baby because I love it for our toddler!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Hello there
I started out with unbleached prefolds, and a few different covers to get an idea of different ones. I couldn't get an real nice ones, but we tried proraps, diaperaps, dappis, and gerbers. We decided to stick with the proraps, and haven't had any problems until now (they sag alot with dd moving around).

I also say get more wipes. I just got cheap (but soft) baby washclothes to do the job
As for nights, I didn't have a problem with the regular prefolds at first, but I have switched to using Fuzzi Bunz, and I think they are great for night time. I also tried Happy Heinys, but we had more wicking with those. Things like that also depend on the size/shap of your child, though.

Good luck

·
Registered
649 Posts
I'm due around the same time as you and have just completed my stash (I think) This is what I have

For those first very small days I got:
12 ubcpf preemie prefolds
3 fitteds
covers

For my real stash (which might take a week or two or three to fit):
12 ubcpf infant
3 bummis covers
12 hemp fitteds
6 various other fitteds
3 one size AIO
2 one size fitteds
2 pockets
1 AIO
3 wool jersey covers
2 wool soakers

I also have doublers, wipes, snappis

I *hope* I've got everything I need. I remeber how often I have to change diapers with DS b/c early on he pooped every time he ate which seemed to be every hour

I would also suggust figuring out what laundry items you want to have for your diaper laundry and having that on hand already. I've gotten Sportwash, Downy Advanced, Eucalan wool wash, lansoniah, tea tree oil, lavender oil, baking soda, and vinegar. I figure that way I am prepared for whatever laundry issues come up without a trip to the store.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone!
I knew I'd get good advice here. I'm going to shop for a few wool covers, some more fitteds, and more wipes and prefolds. It's just so hard to spend all this money all at once, but I keep reminding myself that it'll pay off in the long run and I'll feel good about it too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.