Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

i'm new to this forum. i'm trying to practise part time ecing. my baby is 6 weeks old. from birth we have made the psss noise when we noticed him weeing or pooing, and three days ago i have started holding him over a bowl after a feed and on waking. i think generally he's quite impatient, a bit fiery and easily upset!

he is starting to become quite upset when i do this.. ordinarily he will cry when he wees or poos into his nappy, but somehow it seems worse while i am holding him. sometimes as soon as i put him down he will wee or poo as he has relaxed and let go. i'm worried i am confusing him as i'm teaching him to be held over the bowl, fuss and then wee into a nappy (or on me LOL), but i am worried that by continually holding him over the bowl while he's upset he will learn that it is a negative experience?

the cueing doesn't really seem to be working for us. can it just not work for some people? how long should i wait before putting him down again?

any tips or support would be greatly appreciated, i feel a bit bad for him right now...

thanks,
tish
xx

·
Registered
290 Posts
DD didn't like to be held over a sink or potty, so I would just hold her legs up when she lied down on a diaper and went.

He may just be confused by the situation, but once he gets use to it, will be able to relax and go.

Once she was 6 WO she was able to sit on BBLP w/some support and liked that better than being held.

Its hard to know how long to wait. I take her off after she pees, if she feels/looks like she's not pooping anymore, if she gets wiggly or fussy. It gets easier to tell as you get use to it. I use to time, like give her a few minutes between poops and if nothing happened would take her off.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Hi- Just a suggestion- do you use the cue sound also when you notice him peeing or pooping after you've laid him down? It's good to make the sound when you know they are going, even if it's not in the potty! I remember my LO cried too, she did stop crying when I held her over the potty pretty early on. I don't remember exactly. It doesn't sound to me like you are training him to have negative associations, and I don't think you're confusing him, either. Like wendypf said, it may just be the situation, and he'll get used to it, but I don't think you're causing him to be confused. It does take some time for you to learn each other. EC is much more of a journey and a process than I had anticipated, I can tell you that! Welcome to this forum, by the way! I have learned so much here!!

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
welcome mama! you are doing awesome for 6 weeks - don't worry! in my book, any time you're able to cue them while they go is a 'catch' especially at that age. if it's stressing you both out, take a couple of days off from holding him over a receptacle and just cue him while he pees. or like a pp, said, many kids have receptacle/holding preferences - perhaps he is not liking the receptacle, or maybe the way you're holding him. you might want to experiment around and see if other positions/receptacle are more to his liking.

also, check out this website from the tribalbaby.org mama (tribalbaby rocks too, btw): http://www.parttimediaperfree.com/ju...ess-diaper.htm

all about part time EC. i've only had a chance to skim it so far, but it looks cool

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for your replies. I read them, but things were a bit hectic to reply straight away.

What a difference a few days can make. He still occasionally gets grumpy when on the potty, so we rest then try again shortly. I read the Tips sticky thread, and the best piece of advice was to unclench. The first few times I noticed he peed when my mind wandered, so perhaps my anxiety was affecting him. It was a great piece of advice.

I think the hold may be part of the problem though - does anyone know of a page that shows different holds? The only one I know of is holding him under his legs.

Pixie Tribal Baby is an awesome site - I've been reading it since before he was born. Especially awesome because she's Aussie too!

Thanks again for your replies

Tish
xx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.