Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
Just wanted to introduce myself here. DS is 3.5 months old and we just started tentatively ECing a few days ago. The first time, I caught him in the middle of pooping and took him to the potty to finish. Then yesterday I got him to pee in the potty before we got in the bathtub, and today I've "caught" 3 pees and 1 poop. (I say "caught" because it was actually pretty much luck. I put him on his potty right when we got up and nursed him there, where he peed and pooped. And the other 2 times were just blind luck).

I'm enjoying it. DH thinks I'm nuts and refuses to do it, and our roommate (who has an almost 4 year old who still isn't potty trained) thinks I'm totally insane and always makes the comment "Starting a little early, aren't we?"

I'm not going hardcore or anything right now, just considering each catch as one less diaper that I have to wash.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Good for you Moon! It can be hard when people honestly think you're nuts, and (IMO) are actually a wee bit jealous themselves...maybe. I hope your DH and roomie still support you no matter how nuts they think you are!

Hope your success continues (I'm sure it will)!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Glad you "joined" us! Welcome to EC!

My approach is also, currently, to be laid back. It seems the days that I decide to "try really hard" and catch as many as possible I end up missing more than the days I just go with the flow....so to speak!

Everyone suceeds when you just have fun and enjoy your baby. This is just another fun thing to do with them! And it saves on laundry and disp diapers.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Double good for you for doing it DESPITE no family support
. I thought my family would think I was nuts and I was pleasantly surprised. My partner and my mother and all of my family got on board immediately and thought it was a great idea after I sprung it on them....

I did print out one of the pages of info that helped to convince me to EC though so they could read what i read and see where i was coming from. this is the link to the website of info i printed out for them. i think what convinced us all is in this quote on the first page of this site

http://www.freewebs.com/freetoec/

"Let's begin with what it is not.

EC is not potty training for babies. Firstly, the method is not anything close to what the word "training" would conjure up. There are no rewards or punishments, there is no unlearning of a previous habit, there is nothing in it that goes against the infant's nature. EC is no more training infants to eliminate than breastfeeding is training an infant to eat.

Babies have a need to eat: they are capable of communicating this need to us, and are capable of assisting us in fulfilling this need.

Babies have a need to eliminate: they are also capable from birth of communicating this need to us, and assisting us to meet this need.

EC is not "adult training" either, at least not in the derogatory sense that some people mean when they refer to it as such. The term "adult training" implies that the infant is not participating and communicating in the process, which is untrue. Both the parent and child are equal partners in EC, both giving and taking cues from each other.

I suppose you could say that I am "adult trained" to give my child food when he is hungry, comfort when he is sad, warmth when he is cold, etc. If one considers this training, then I suppose one could also say that EC is "adult training" to provide a place to eliminate when he has to "go".
"

After i read that i was convinced and it had the same effect on my family- so I'm feeling lucky in that aspect! From one newbie to another I'm finding the naked approach to be working better than anything.
At night I'm letting my 4 month old sleep naked on a prefold (I've already discovered she doesn't pee in her sleep, she only pees immediately after waking) when she wakes up to eat i hold her over a tin bowl next to the bed and have her pee, then i lay down and nurse her back to sleep. we do this 2-3 times per night and some nights we have been catching EVERYTHING leading to a completely dry night!

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
As long as your dh changes diapers promptly he can have whatever opinion he wants of EC. If you end up changing all the diapers then he doesn't have a right to open his mouth.

As for the neighbor, I suspect she's feeling like you're saying there's something wrong with her child. Nothing you can do about her feelings unless you want to share about a spectacular miss or two.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Nice Post APMama. I want to get a print up of what exactly it is that we've been doing for the last 4 mos (come sept) for the DCPs when DS goes to daycare. I may use that and will check out the site- and not to derail the thread, but if anyone else has links to a 1page summary of EC I'd love some direction!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.