Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Six months ago we started homeschooling. We had moved to Japan, put our (half Japanese) children into the Japanese public school system, and found they were bullied horribly. They were very happy at school before we came to Japan for my husband`s work.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Homeschooling was not something I wanted to do, or ever saw myself doing. I did not think it was going to be the best thing for the children at all. We could not afford the international school fees for two children, and homeschooling was really the only option.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We decided on Calvert after my going it alone for a month. I was spending 2 to 4 hours a night working on curriculum and worksheets, so it was good to have almost all of it done for me.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Im now using the calvert books and adding and removing where I see necessary. Sometimes she moves much quicker, sometimes she needs more help. However I can see that and adjust for her. She just would not get that at school, and did not.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>My 8 year old has progressed so quickly in every area. Her writing, reading and math has improved so quickly. She is doing much better than she was at school and is more inspired to learn. She asked for books for Christmas. She never read for fun before, no matter how she was encouraged. My 4 year old is now reading unaided! My daughter was not less intelligent at him at age four, she just went to school, I heard her read at home.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I feel such a sense of achievement. It is a lot of work, and my day is taken up schooling. I do however spend much more time interacting with my children and feel I know they so much better than when they were just sent to school everyday.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My husband, who was very sceptical is now more involved with the children.We did a family spelling bee  yesterday, and it was just so fun.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I just wanted to say, I went into this thinking it was `the only option`, and now think that it really is the best option possible.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The only downside is that I really did want one more baby, and now just dont see how I would balance a new baby and homeschooling.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I suppose I have noone to discuss this with, outside of my husband, and it is just really good to write it down.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thank you</p>
<p> </p>
<p>mochi</p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
<p>I am so happy for you and the children that schooling at home is going well. There are so many ways to educate children. I am glad you did not make the kids stay in the local schools to tolerate the bullying.</p>

·
Registered
25 Posts
<p>That is so good to hear.  I have heard lots of people say that they wished they had started homeschooling earlier because it turned out to be so much better than they expected.  In my case, I am continuing to homeschool for very different reasons from the reasons I started with, family time and close relationships being at the very top.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm glad it's working so well for you.</p>

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<p>Thank you all so much for the encouragement! It is really good to talk about how things are going homeschooling the children.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>It really is appreciated. I did not want my daughter to think that it was ok for people to hurt her and be so cruel to her, and Im glad on that level we made the jump. Academically, Im just shocked that it is working out so well.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I find Calvert a bit dry, but with some fun things added and enrichment courses, it is great.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We spend about 4 hours a day schooling. Is this about right?</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts