Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago, DH and I made the decision to start homeschooling, and shelved the idea of sending Adam (3 years old) to school. From an academic standpoint, it just made more sense.
So here's my concern: I've been a member of a playgroup of other moms and children since Adam was born - we started as members of a breastfeeding support group offered through a local hospital, then formed our own playgroup as our nurslings got older. There are about 8 moms in our group. Three of the moms have started their children in preschool this year (all attending the same preschool), and we've had two playgroup sessions since preschool's started. I'm concerned because it seems like the three schooled kids are as thick as thieves, leaving the other kids (including Adam) a little left out. It's just given me an unpleasant preview of what's to come, and left me discouraged.
We've joined a local homeschool group, but they're pretty loosely organized - they meet whenever someone has a good idea for an activity. I'm looking for a group that meets more regularly, so that Adam can make some friends. It's funny - one of the reasons we didn't want to send Adam off to school is because I was concerned about the big influence a peer group can have on a kid, and now I'm whining because he's not exposed to enough kids his own age. I want to have my cake and eat it, too, kwim? I just feel that I'm cheating Adam out of the opportunity to make friends with other kids. Tell me I'm crazy! Offer me suggestions! Encourage me! Tell me that your homeschooled child(ren) have close friends, and how they met each other!

· Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your suggestions. I think I'll try finding more groups in our area. ekblad7, my situation is similar to yours - our homeschool group is BIG - about 170 families. I think I just need to give homeschooling more of a chance. Being part of such a large group is a challenge: it's a great resource, but I think all of us (me, DH, Adam) need a little more one-on-one interaction. I've tried asking myself (and DH) that if Adam were in school and not making friends, how would we approach the issue? Probably make contact with some other parents and set up playdates, and get him involved in some activities - just what you moms are suggesting!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.