Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is nice to see a group to support mommy's in such a closed minded society.
I have tons of questions, like when will there be a gathering? I don't know anyone here with children and would like to meet people wanting to share in the mothering experience. I am a sahm and need more outlets to explore with my 16 month old daughter. Look forward to hearing from you all.

·
Banned
1,311 Posts
Hi dnglow

I don't think there's a local gathering of MDC mamas in Monty.

I know someone (I think it is Quirky) does an AP playgroup down in the southern end of the county. I got something from her at the beginning of the summer but I was pretty sick and in and out of the hospital for most of the summer and never made it to anything. I should probably pm her. (NB: nothing contagious and I'm better now.)

I just joined (been to two whole meetings
) the local chapter of the Mom's Club. It's a little weird, the parenting styles are ALL over the map, but it's given me a little group of playmates for my youngest...I moved up here a year ago and haven't met a lot of other mamas of kids her age, I've met all mamas of older kids since my 11 yo is in school and that's where my focus has been.

There is a Mom's Club in Potomac, another in Southern Rockville, and the one I joined, in Gaithersburg. You could give it a try, maybe. In the Gaithersburg group there are loads of 1 and 2 yos. Mom's Club is WEIRD though, in that you get assigned to a group by your zip code. It's *ok* for me to be in the Gaithersburg one, but I spend a LOT of time commuting to Chevy Chase, where my 11 yo goes to school, and I could JUST as easily belong to the one down there but they won't let me. I was kinda ticked off by what I felt was an overly rigid stance but not enough to let it stop me finding some kids for Sophie to play with, you know?

The other good place to find local, ap friendly moms is La Leche League. I felt like my kid and I had aged out of that by the time I was looking around for something for her, though...she turnt three 17 Nov.

Anyway, welcome to creeping suburbia. I moved up here from Virginia where a traffic jam was when my neighbour ran his cows from one field to the other and blocked the road for a few minutes....I was in shock for the first six months. Hope your adjustment is easier.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Welcome! For a little further drive, http://www.takeanap.org/ has howard, anne arundel and baltimore groups. There's a small EC (elimination communication) group starting from people in the NAP group. And LotusDebi has started a great Anne Arundel playgroup.

I belong to my local mom's club (who is no longer affiliated with the Mom's Club national org - so we have evening events, and don't kick out people with the wrong zip code!) I agree, parenting is all over, so I might be more wary if I were less confident about my own parenting. There are a few parenting groups that are more flexible - Greenbelt Mamas and Papas is one - so look around to see if there's something else around you.

I found our free weekly library hours actually introduced me to more like-minded moms close by than anything else, and if you don't like your own, try another library! An informal playgroup started from ours - and it's more diverse and low key than my moms club stuff.

Our LLL is great, so if you go to a meeting you don't like, try another of those too!

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
I hear there's going to be an API chapter of MD starting up in Montgomery County soon. The API of DC playgroup is a DC/MD hybrid - we meet at homes and do outings in Bethesda, Northwest DC, and Capitol Hill. Email me at jane at sonomazoo dot net if you're interested in joining!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.