Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is lots of great information out here about pumping but I have a few more questions. DS is almost 3 months and EBF ... never had a bottle and until today I have never pumped. My cousin had twins 3 days after DS, they are both exclusively bottlefed and one is having major reflux/spitting issues. After a week of Nutramigen, she is still spitting and the pocketbook is sorely hurting. We are going to try pumped breastmilk for her now. I will freeze it and either deliever or mail it (they are almost 4 hours away). So,

If I am new to pumping should I start with quite a few times per day to up supply or should I slowly increase the number? I dont want to starve DS but I want to increase my supply as quickly as possible.

Is the amount of breastmilk a babe will take in a feeding equivalent to the amount of formula a babe will take? I want to freeze it in approximate amounts as to what they might use at a feeding and wanted to know if anyone knows how those coorelate.

Has anyone else pumped for a friend or family ... any tips? Thanks so much!

·
Registered
789 Posts
i am doing this right now- i freeze it in 6-8 oz increments cause i always just defrost what i need and put the rest in the freezer (its still frozen, if that makes sense) but if you want to , you could just ask her, i would say 2-3 oz right now, i could be waaaay off though... just make sure it stays frozen in trnasit and it should work out fine

oh, as far as pumping, if *i* wanted to up my supply as soon as possible, i would pump either during or right after a nursing session (does your babe eat both sides at each session?) like for me, dd doesnt eat both sides regularly, so if i were to pump one side while she was eating the other side, i would get alot more milk than if i was just pupming. anyways, whichever you do, pump for a while after nothing comes out, so that your body will start to produce more. also, is there a stretch where your baby slees a bit longer than usual? pump during that time too

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.