Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm signed up for a sewing class to learn the things I need to know about sewing and I realize that this is a rather large undertaking
. However, I am completely excited to finally have a hobby and one of my greatest goals in this whole adventure is to be able to make my own CD's.

That being said, I have been reading this Diaper Making thread for weeks at night and even though I've gotten some great information, I am more confused than before. There are just so many choices for everything (especially soakers, ect.) that I just don't know where to begin. Any help and suggestions would be great. I would love some cost effective ideas also. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I am really new to all this too! I just learned how to thread my sewing machine (given to me) last week.
I have made three diapers (fitteds) so far out of some scrap flannel. They are not the prettiest things,
but they work! I suggest cutting up some t-shirts or old sheets (you can buy them really cheap at goodwill) especially for your first few projects. I am having the most trouble with the elastic sewing part, but I just keep watching these threads for advice and keep on trying with scrap fabric. HTH and I'm embarking on this adventure with ya!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hang in there, each diaper will be better than the last. There is lots of help here. Also you can visit http://diaperdivas.proboards57.com/index.cgi for even more help. I think starting with recycled material is the best way to start. This is how I started, flannel sheet, old receiving blankets, jeans anything cotton. I am still making recycled diapers and love it. You can find cotton sweatshirts with cute pics that look so cute on the bum of a diaper.

As far as elastic just go slow and stretch, stretch, stretch. I use a medium zigzag stitch. HTH

·
Registered
737 Posts
Congrats on the new hobby! It is lots of fun. I began exactly as you did, reading these threads every free minute I had for weeks. I know the feeling of being overwhelmed. It does get better, LOL!

I would start with fabric you can easily obtain or have on hand--whether that be old towels and t-shirts, or Wal-Mart flannel. Order your touchtape and lastin online (get quite a bit so you don't have to dole out shipping fees again for awhile). And then get started!

I started with one pattern and made and used several of them to see what I liked/didn't like about it, and have moved on to try different patterns (all free). I'm currently using my own pattern, and I'm so proud of myself!

When you feel really confused or overwhelmed, take a break for a few weeks. Then come back and try again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts