Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy a sewing and embroidering machine for under $550. I also was wondering if an overlock stitch is kinda like a serge. I was going to buy a serger, but from past posts, it looks like a sewing machine with an overlock stitch is the way to go. Do any of you have any suggestions on good machines?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
When you say "embroidery," what do you mean? Any good computerized machine will have a limited number of preprogrammed embroidery stitches which can be combined to make various decorative stitches. I have an old, old Viking 500 which is still in perfect condition, and it has about 8 decorative stitches which combine to about 12 different interesting embroidery designs.

As far as machines go, I'd say you can't go wrong with a Viking. If you were willing to get an older, used machine, you could pick up a 500 (from what I've heard/read, one of the best models ever for Viking) for under $300 on eBay. They also have a line of new machines - Scandinavia - some of which are fairly inexpensive (i.e. under $500) and these should have some basic preprogrammed embroidery stitches. I'd suggest going to your local JoAnn Fabrics (assuming you have one) and checking out the machines. The sewing machine rep will be more than happy to show you all the bells & whistles & let you try the machines out.

HTH!

·
Registered
621 Posts
hey mama...

i have had many different brands over the years and I am now brand loyal to Pfaff brands...I have a Pfaff sewing machine that does light embroidery (nothing fancy schmancy) and a Pfaff serger...

my advice is look for a good brand that has closeouts on machines...it happens my machine isnt made in the model I have anymore so I got it at a really good deal but it still works and does incredible stuff! As far as the serge/overlock stich..you are right..if you can get a good machine that has a reliable overlock stich than you can probably get away with that but key word is reliable because the whole point of the overlock stitch is to encase and protect the seam and/or fabric edge you are stitching.
One of my first machines was a "JANOME" brand...it was a very affordable machine and they carry many many decorative options....if you are in a financial crunch and have to stick to a budget, i recommend this brand because it wont break your wallet but it WILL last forever and it is very reliable. I actually miss my old Janome soemtimes when my Pfaff is acting up.

Good luck and welcome to your newfound sewing addiction :LOL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.