Mothering Forum banner

New to this, are we doing this right, and WOH/ECing can it be done?

495 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Gabrielle's Mom 
#1 ·
I could use potty/EC help... am I on the right track?? DD is 16mos old and we've been introing her to the potty since 15ish mos cause she was really interested in seeing mommy and daddy go pee pee :LOL

I noticed if DD was wearing diapers I missed a lot of pees... well one day I caught 6 while she was diapered -- woohoo. But for the most part it makes me lazy and I don't get her to the potty in time. So, today we bought big girl undies! The gerber ones (okay I know gerber isn't the greatest but I can't afford wahm ones!). When I picked them up at the store and handed them to dd I talked it up, excitedly telling her these were the underwear she would wear because she knew how to pee pee on the potty and all of that. She hugged them, she called them unders.

We got home and put them on. My dh has no decided I've lost it. I tell him NO NEGATIVE WORDS, GESTURES, OR ANYTHING of the sort. He says "ok but if she pees in them she's gettign a diaper" and I said no, and don't you dare tell her that either!

We put them on and I watch her like a hawk. I tell her these are your underwear. "Unders" she says. I tell her she needs to tell mommy and daddy when she has to potty, etc. So I take my eye off her for a sec (folding cloth dipes) and see her stand there still staring at me like "what the heck happened?" and her pants are wet. I say, gabby you went pee pee in your underwear and that's ok... but tell mommy or daddy when you have to pee pee. We took her potty and gave her new unders

Then about 30-45 min later she grabs herself and I say "lets go potty" (because asking "do you need to pee pee" always elicits a "no" response typical toddler!) and dh took her potty and she went!!!! WOOHOO. So now, because we ditched the diapers tonight, I know her potty sign finally!!! Before I just took her when the mood struck, like when I had a feeling she had to go, or when I was going to pee. Now I can watch for her to grab herself (gee how womanly! lol) and tell her "potty" and take her. She even makes the psss sound when she pees and said "i go potty" the other day!!!!

So I'm guessing this is how it's done... am I right? Any pointers for me? Is it ok for her to wear undies and soil them? Will this bother her? by bother her i mean have negative effects on her potty learning?

And is it feasable to do EC if she is going to a sitter? The sitter has other kids, so it's not like it's a one on one deal. So dd would have to be more on the way to potty learning for me to send her in undies there... do I use pullups??

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Leighann!

It's me.

You know I think you're doing great! Keep it up. It can work fine even if the sitter isn't as awesome and tuned in as you. Just ask her to take your DD potty every hour or so, and keep on observing her signals at home. Kids are so smart. They can pick up on different caregivers and their different styles. My DS did fine even though DH never did any EC with him.

#3 ·
Thanks
I am just baffled at today's misses though. 4 misses this morning... but before we used dipes, now underwear, so I knew when each pee happens this morning. After she went, I'd tell her she went peepee and sit her on the potty... but she peed on the living room floor, then on the couch... and lastly on the bathroom floor (gettin closer!) so I had to wash all her "unders". Now she is napping in a cloth dipe... we'll see what happens this afternoon.

Do kids pee more in the morning? (mor meaning volume and frequency?) Last night she didn't go near as often.

#4 ·
Yeah, I think they tend to go more during the morning hours. I do take my kids to the potty for a month or two regularly. She will probably be too busy to remember to potty all the time. She will probably be holding it, and will relax and go if you put her on the pot. Kids don't usually tell you they need to go until they REALLY need to go, KWIM? My kids have special books that stay at the potty, so I just bring the kid there, and hand them a book, and they will sit for a few minutes, and go if they need to.

#5 ·
Things went better in the afternoon, several catches without her underwear being wet.
One time she said "potty" and went for the bathroom. She had started in her underwear but finished on the potty!!! So she knew she was going and knew where to go. So we're getting there, slowly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.