Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some book titles and authors for GD. I have a 20 month old who is strating to test limits, act out and defy. I have a passive aggresive husband who expects obediance, and I have a short fuse with him. So I need some easy to follow guidelines that I can explain and help him implement.

No need to go into detail. Just titles and authors.

TIA
Monica

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Hi!

Check out the GD booklist that's stickied at the top of the page. It's a great resource!

My all time favorite parenting books from that list are "Becoming the Parent You Want to Be" and "Kids Are Worth It!" Neither are going to give you a behavior chart (as in "If A happens, then do B. If C happens then do D"), but both will cause you to seriously consider your parenting philosophy. The first I found to be a little more user-friendly, as it's sectioned, in part, by "issue." I found it immensely calming when ds was about your child's age. That was the period where I found myself getting frustrated with other books because ds just wasn't verbal enough to implement a lot of the strategies, but he clearly needed something different than what I was doing.

"Becoming the Parent You Want to Be" was great because I could open it up to a chapter or subchapter that dealt specifically with the issue of the day and it would clue me in to the sources of those issues. It goes a good bit into child development which, IMO, is the single most important thing to keep in mind during the toddler stage.

I found the strategies in "Kids Are Worth It!" to be more applicable to older children, but the underlying philosophy makes it worth reading when your child is much younger. Coloroso starts out by defining the different type of parents (I'm guessing your husband is a "brick wall" parent) and outlines the problems that are inherent in that style of parenting. It's extremely eye-opening.

Um, I just saw that you didn't want elaboration. Sorry about that. I'll just project and say that it's sometimes better to have a little elaboration so you know whether or not the book is worth your time. But feel free to ignore.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts