Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found this site and am so pleased with all the knowledgeable moms here. My first questions w/o giving an intro is-

Are sesame seeds and flax seeds in the same family/grouping?

Also are almonds and peanuts in the same also?

My son was recently dx with EA and FA's. AMong his food allergies were sesame and peanut. I had been supplementing him with flax seed oil and have seen so allergy reaction and also was wondering if i could sub almond with peanut?

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
peanuts are in the legume family (with beans/peas). Almonds are in the Plum family (Almond, Apricot, Cherry, Nectarine, Peach, Plum, Prune Plum).

Flaxseed is in the flax family (along with linseed oil). Sesame seeds are in the Composite Family (Aster):Absinthe; Artichoke; Artichoke, Jerusalem; Boneset Tea; Burdock; Calomel; Camomile; Cardoon; Celtuse; Chicory; Dandelion; Endive; Escarole; Head Lettuce; Lettuce, Leaf ; Lettuce; Oyster Plant, Salsify; Safflower; Sesame Seeds/ Oil; Sunflower/ Oil/ Seeds; Tarragon; Vermouth; Vermouth (Ragweed); Vermouth (Pyrethrum); Yarrow.

I get my info from this website: http://www.calgaryallergy.ca/Article...by_Food_Family

What are EA's and FA's? Wait, environmental allergies and food allergies?

Peanuts are in a different category than tree nuts (of which almond is one). And some people have trouble with a lot of seeds (though not sure about the allergy connection).

There's cross contamination problems with peanut and tree nut, I believe.

With some allergies, the oil is okay because the proteins are removed. But some people react even to the oils.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow thank you so much for the prompt response. Very useful and informative. I will post my sons story tommoorow and hope to interact moms whos kids suffer so much from allergies.

((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))) cheri

mom of one wonderful allergic son, whos completly overwhelmed at this point

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.