Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The little person will be here in about 4 weeks (give or take). I have a small stash started;

*The Bummis Cloth Diapering Kit http://www.bummis.com/en/Products/covers/Kit.html

*12 BumGenius 3.0's

*6 Fuzzi Bunz in small

I plan on trying more, but this is what I have so far.

Now, what kind of soap should I buy? Charlie's? Do different diaper brands need different soaps?

Do I need to do anything to my washer before putting them in? (I use regular Tide liquid and liquid fabric softener now)

What about stains? Is OxyClean spray a no-no? What about bleach?

Will someone give me a good throrough run-down on washing cloth diapers?

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
I would consider switching from Tide. I found Tide to be very harsh on my kids' skin. That said, I don't personally recommend Charlie's for diapers. I don't recommend any of the "natural" detergents, unless you feel strongly about them for environmental reasons. I've tried everything under the sun on my dipes, and what I've found is that I got way more problems in the long-term with buildup and smell when I used natural products, and it wasn't worth the hassle. I use store-brand Free and Clear detergents, or Cheer or All. (I use all kinds and brands of diapers, and some of them I've used continually for more than 4 years.)

Avoid fabric softener on diapers. It has a subtle waterproofing effect. The last thing you want your diapers to be is waterproof!

I do occasionally use bleach, but you don't want to use it often. It'll wear your diapers out faster, and it's not necessary, and it pollutes the water supply. If stains bother you, I've had good luck with oxyclean, and with just putting the wet diapers in the sun for a few hours. But stains are really a fact of life with diapers. They don't mean the diapers aren't clean, so you can safely just ignore them. I do! The only time I try to get rid of stains is when I'm giving away or selling outgrown diapers.

Here's what I do:
1. I throw everything in the pail. I dump any solid poo, but I don't bother with trying to take off softer poos. The washer does that.

2. Every second day, I throw it all in the wash. Keep in mind I have two in diapers in the day, and three at night. You can wash less often!

3. I run a cold rinse.

4. I wash on hot with a cold rinse. Then I sniff. If they smell clean, in the dryer they go.

5. If I still smell poo, then I do #4 again.

6. Into the dryer. If you want your covers to last longer, hang those to dry-- the dryer is hard on elastic.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
There's a site on the internet that rates all of the main detergents but dang if I can remember the name now. I went through the list and Purex Free and Clear was rated the highest out of what was available to me. I do a dry pail, throw them in the washer with a cold rinse, then a hot wash with about 1/4 of the recommended amount of Purex, warm rinse, warm rinse. I throw my diapers in the dryer but hang-dry the covers. I went through a stinky phase (I think now that it was because I was using powder on his butt once in a while) so I threw in some baking soda in the wash cycle and some vinegar during the first rinse cycle and they're fresh as daisies now. Every once in a while I throw in an extra warm rinse just to make sure detergent isn't building up, maybe once every 3 weeks or so.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I like Charlie's Soap.

I rinse poopy wipes/diapers, then wash with a squirt of Bac-Out and Charlies. Then rinse.

Sunshine gets out most stains. Now that it's cold, I have a shoe rack by the window for air drying microfiber and pockets.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ifluffedthree View Post
Llyra covered most of what I would post.

In addition to diaper jungle there may be some good info at http://www.thediaperhyena.com/ also.
I couldn't get that link to work, I even googled it. I think the site was just down or something...?

According to the other site (http://www.diaperjungle.com/detergent-chart.html) Arm and Hammer Essentials Free has top ratings. Anyone have experience with this kind? I'm trying to find something that I can purchase at a regular store and not have to go online just to buy.

I'm also considering Purex Free and Clear or Sun Free, although both of these contain brighteners. What kind of problems will brighteners cause for cloth diapers?

·
Registered
455 Posts
In my experience, fuzzi bunz can really hold onto residue, so it's really important to stick with detergents that are recommended. Totally worth it, in my opinion (I LOVE fuzzi bunz!).

The major washing key I've found with CDs:

don't skimp on detergent
don't skimp on rinsing

You need enough detergent to really get the diapers clean and bacteria OUT. But then you need to rinse well to make sure leftover bacteria doesn't bother your little one's bottom. If you make sure to use the full amount of recommended detergent and then rinse it out completely, I think you'll be just fine.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I woke up this morning with a strong urge to wash all of my diapers in preparation for the baby...

I went to the store to purchase detergent, and ended up leaving with three different kinds...

-Borax

-Ecos, but not the free and clear kind, it's "magnolia and lily".

-Purex Free and Clear

I want to throw them in the wash now, but I don't know which one I should use!
:

Someone please help me!! I don't want to screw this up!!

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
To be honest, I think you're thinking into this one too deeply. Take a deep breath! Just about anything will work, and none of them are going to irreversibly harm your diapers. Over the years I've used:
Cheer
Cheer Free
Purex Free and Clear
Tide
All
Era Plus
Charlies
Allens
the Seventh Generation liquid
the BJs brand
and at least three or four other brands of detergent,

and none of them have ever done my diapers any serious harm. I have the best luck with the ones bolded-- they seem to get the diapers cleaner. And I think Tide bothered DD1's skin. But everything you mentioned sounds fine. It's okay, you can do this!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Llyra View Post
To be honest, I think you're thinking into this one too deeply. Take a deep breath! Just about anything will work, and none of them are going to irreversibly harm your diapers. Over the years I've used:
Cheer
Cheer Free
Purex Free and Clear
Tide
All
Era Plus
Charlies
Allens
the Seventh Generation liquid
the BJs brand
and at least three or four other brands of detergent,

and none of them have ever done my diapers any serious harm. I have the best luck with the ones bolded-- they seem to get the diapers cleaner. And I think Tide bothered DD1's skin. But everything you mentioned sounds fine. It's okay, you can do this!

You're probably right, I am thinking too much into this. I guess it's just that I spent so much money on diapers recently that I'm paranoid that I'm going to ruin them. You said the damage is not irreversible, even if the detergent contains brighteners? Would I still be able to strip with Dawn and they'd be okay again?

I just realized that the Allen's 'grand central' is local for me! I left them a message asking if I could pick up an order from them (to get it faster and avoid shipping costs). I think for now, I'm going to throw in a load with the Purex F&C. I'll probably return the other ones as long as I can get the Allen's.

I am striving for success with this journey (CD'ing)! Because I have no experience, I guess I feel like I have no confidence! I wish I would've cloth diapered (among other things!!) my first two children!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MommaShark View Post
DON"T USE THE ECOS MAGNOLIA and LILY!!!! If it's like mine it has soy fabric softeners in it - check it out!!!!!
It does. I'm returnig it!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I just use my regular detergent - scent free. What I found the most important for me is washing on hot. When I started out I used warm water and DD got a big rash. I think probably a yeast infection. I switched to hot water and she never had one again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.