Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:laugh:This year, our theme will be how to stop (or cut down) on yelling. I hope to bring you solid tips to increase parent-child connection and curb the parts of parenting we are not as happy with.

For what it is worth, I yelled quite a lot when my five children were under the age of 10 years. Life was hectic, partner worked out of town and I was stressed with work, chores, homeschooling and my voice got the best of me.

The kids are in university now and I asked them the other day if they remember how much I yelled. They replied that they don't remember it at all.

Mother nature makes sure that kids don't remember much before age 4. That doesn't mean that we don't try to be a better parent, but we can lose the guilt of the past. Fresh start today! Happy New Year Everyone! Judy Arnall, AP Canada

·
Registered
38 Posts
Love this! Definitely something I need to work on. I grew up in a very peaceful nurturing home yelling was not a means of communication. However I find my husband and I are yelling at our 6yr old and it sucks. Going to put this at the top of my list for New Years Resolutions. What are your tips "in the moment"?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
What are your tips "in the moment"?
A great New Years Resolution! My 8 yo is on the autism spectrum and behavioral complexities can be infuriating. I wonder when yelling presents a bigger problem. Def could use tips for in the moment. Also wondering how/when to get help when standard parenting tips and techniques fail.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Heather

Heather, I assume that you attend some kind of support for parents with children with autism spectrum. What do they suggest for calming down in the moment?
Warmly, Judy

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A great New Years Resolution! My 8 yo is on the autism spectrum and behavioral complexities can be infuriating. I wonder when yelling presents a bigger problem. Def could use tips for in the moment. Also wondering how/when to get help when standard parenting tips and techniques fail.
Some ideas are:
Deep breathing, drinking water (no, not wine!), counting to ten, going to a mirror (so you can see what you look like), asking your kids to raise their hand, screaming in a pillow, jumping on the treadmill, crying in the closet and many more....
warmly, Judy

Here are some more ideas
http://globalnews.ca/video/1755594/parenting-with-patience/

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.