Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious how they drug test newborns after birth in NY. Do they test at prenatal visits? I did not know I was pregnant until my 2nd trimester and smoked pot until I found out. Thank you ladies

·
Registered
739 Posts
They could test meconium if they so chose (first baby poop) which can detect use anytime after 20 weeks. But I don't know if there are laws or specific hospital policies regarding testing (probably not), or if they test based on specific reasons. Late entry to prenatal care is considered a valid reason to test, but they have to ask for your consent (in theory).

·
Registered
71 Posts
That's a very interesting question. I think that the newborns are not tested at all. I guess that the parents should get tested, not kids. I have a lot of friends that are already having kids, and they told me that they were given different drug tests like fentanyl test strips, for example. However, it's not a compulsory procedure, and parents are not always tested. By the way, if you were smoking marijuana while pregnant, you should definitely see a doctor with your kid. Smoking could cause some problems to his health.
Absolutely true. I think so too!

·
Registered
18 Posts
In New York, all babies are tested even if they are healthy and have no health problems. I don't know what things are tested but I have read they take blood from baby's heel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts