Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
24,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone from here?

I was simply wondering about the infamous house there that the book/movies are based on.

Is it true, or the result of an overactive imagination?

· Registered
3,435 Posts
The Amityville Horror murders really did happen. Whether or not the people who bought the house had those experiences, I don''t know.

The house they used in the movie is in NJ and not the actual house.

As a teenager we did all love to cruise past the actual house.

· Registered
1,156 Posts
I saw it a few weeks ago! I drove by with a fellow MDC mom who knew the street it's on in Amityville. The house is gorgeous! They've changed the appearance of that particular house and the numbers on all the houses on the street to throw off tourists who look for the house. Apparently, shortly after all the hubbub about the house happened, there were thousands of visitors daily, driving by, harrassing the new owners, so they did these things so that tourists couldn't figure out which house it is.

It's on Ocean Avenue. I forget the house #, but it's probably about 1/4 - 1/2 mile down on the left side, coming from the center of town.

When we moved to Long Island, I purposely avoided Amityville only because of the stories! We live a couple of towns over from it now.

· Registered
24,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kewb
As a teenager we did all love to cruise past the actual house.
WOW! Cool!

My Father chaperoned my brother and sister's high school band from Burbank to NYC in 1981.

He wanted some of the parents to go cruising with him to see the actual house when he was there. No one would go with him.

My Father was something of a little boy I suppose, but at this point in his life, he was 67.

He also gave me a copy of the book, Amityville Horror, in 1978 as a house warming gift when I bought my first house.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.