Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I started out with every intention to cloth diaper my baby when she was born -- I had the DSQ prefolds and Prowraps ready for her, but despite VERY frequent changes, after just a couple of diapers she had a horrible diaper rash that developed into a yeast diaper rash... we switched to disposables at our ped's recommendation... months later, we tried again... after half an hour in one diaper, she was already rashy looking, so we gave up. A friend lent us some Fuzzibunz over the weekend and we LOVED them. Our little girl is a heavy wetter, and they would be damp, or wet if overnight, but no sign of rash. The thing is, we'd really like to get some natural fiber diapers -- any chance there are any out there that are ultra-absorbent, wick moisture away from baby and all that good stuff? Organic would be a plus, but really not necessary. Any recommendations? Also, how often do you find you need to change your babies? With prefolds, even with rash, we were changing her every 1/2 hour to an hour at most -- we'd love to find something where we could go a bit longer.
Thanks!
Emily

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
You might try using fleece liners, which will wick moisture away from the skin. Aso, I don't use PUL, I use wool which is very breatheable and cool even in the summer. You can get wool jersey or interlock in merino and it will be very effective and still trim. If she is prone to rashes PUL is probably not the greatest idea. Wol is very easy to care for and you only need a few covers to start because only have to wash them every few weeks. The only time I use PUL is in an emerg or when we are out and DS needs to change, I keep Very Baby AIOs in the diaper bag.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Hi! ITU about wanting natural fibres...that's what I use. But to get that "stay-dry" feeling I second the suggestion about using fleece-topped doublers...you can even find them with hemp or organic cotton, topped with fleece. Check out www.diaperware.com for tons of options. Wool covers are breathable and cute, too. I change my baby every couple hours probably unless she poops, which is often since she's still exclusively breastfed. She goes longer at night, too, between changes.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Oh, also for wool covers, I should have given you a suggestion of what to try. The Vermont Diaper co makes an organic merino cover that is really nice and good priced, also Sugar Peas make great trim wool amd heavier weight covers. Diaperware has a good line of SP

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, everyone, for the advice. I've ordered a Vermont Diaper Company organic cotton diaper, which I've heard is very absorbent and an organic wool diaper cover from Cottontails -- Sasha patiently e-mailed with me several times yesterday and it already shipped, so I'm very impressed. We'll see how Mia does without a fleece liner to start, but I think I might look into some hemp doublers. The organic cotton diapers are a bit cost prohibitive for me, but we'll see how well she does in them. I also ordered a non-organic cotton diaper from Sugar Britches because I read how absorbent they were on Diaper Pin. Does anyone have experience with either?
Any suggestions for inexpensive, but absorbent hemp doublers? Or how to make your own?
Thanks!
Emily

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Everyone gave great suggestions. However, if the rash returns, why not just stick with pocket diapers since they're keeping her rash-free? You can always stuff with hemp, which is very environmentally-friendly. I LOVE hemp for absorbency and it's my favorite pocket "stuffer".

We use a combination of wool covers and pocket diapers to keep my very-rash-prone baby rash-free! I find that PUL covers definitely give him a rash, but the pockets clear it up.
I guess it's the wicking effects of the fleece. We also use wool, which also keeps him rash-free as long as I change really often.

Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.