Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-

I'm due with my first baby in a few weeks, and I still don't have a handle on the cloth diapering dealio.

My number one goal is to keep it simple.

I found this started package on cottonbabies.com, could you give me your opinions on it? I'm sure I need to add more wipes and cloth diapers...anything else?

* 12 unbleached 4x8x4 Chinese prefolds
* 1 Kissaluvs Fitted Diaper
* 2 Fuzzi Bunz Pocket Diapers
* 2 Cotton Babies One-Size Micro Fiber Inserts
* 2 Bummis Super Whisper Wrap Prints
* 1 Bummis Super Snap
* 1 LANA wool soaker
* 6 Flannel Wipes
* 1 Small Bummis Tote Bag
* 1 Snappi Diaper Fastener
* 6 Fleece Stay Dry Liners

Or if this list doesn't look good, feel free to make suggestions, I'm getting a little desperate! There's too much information out there, it's overwhelming! Especially when I've never seen most of this stuff...

TIA
--kristin

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Personally, all I used on my newborns were Kissaluvs size 0 (I'd say get 2 dozen if that's the only dipe you'll be using). They're so soft and although they're not the most absorbant dipes out there, it took my newborns awhile until they produced enough pee at a time to soak through them. Plus they're super easy to use. And then if I were choosing just one cover/wrap, I'd go with the Imse Vimse Bumpy wool covers. They run large though so they might not be ideal for the first few weeks. Prowraps are nice & easy though - maybe a few of those.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I'll keep on reading, there's so much out there!

--kristin

·
Registered
620 Posts
I'd also add a dozen of the regular-size prefolds--they are great to have under the baby during changes--esp. if you have a boy, who might pee again the second his equipment catches a breeze.

Nobody flame me here--it's also nice to have a stash of NB sposies--because not everyone gets their money's worth out of NB cloth. This is your first babe and you don't know what size or how quickly he/she will gain weight and grow out of stuff. Also, you might only really like 1 or 2 of the things that came in the starter package--you can stock up on those once you've tried them out for real. The Cloth Diapering gods will forgive you if you need to use some sposies while you wait for your fuzzi bunz (or proraps or whatever you end up liking the most) to arrive.

·
Registered
316 Posts
i will ditto more pf's...at least a dozen, if not two. unless you dont mind washing every other day. i would get more wipes too...they are handy for alot more than wiping a bottom and you will go thru them fast!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Katiemare, I do think I will probably use some sposies for the first week or two until we can sort things out. No clue how big baby is, but my DH is 6'3" and 300 lbs, so I'm guessing babe won't be tiny!

I have a package of sposies someone gave me which I will probably use to hold me over until I can get my CD stash up to snuff.

Thanks again for the advice, the CD world is pretty crazy! I'm still trying to figure out how come everyone uses so many different kinds!!?!?

·
Premium Member
8,322 Posts
My friend used sposies until her daughter;s cord fell out and then switched to cloth. If that concerns, the kissaluv size 0 has a snap down for cord area.

I use fuzzi bunz and some fitteds w bummis covers. I hate prefolds for my system but every mama is different.

If need be, buy a few used dipes or borrow from some cloth friends IRL to decide what floats your baby's boat.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
I think that 24 diapers is a bare minimum for a newborn, unless you want to wash every day. So I'd say more diapers, whether they're fitteds or prefolds. Also, get some more snappis-- the darn things have a bad habit of getting lost.
It looks like a good assortment, though. Just a few more diapers, LOTS more wipes (I have two dozen and it's never been enough), and maybe a couple of pail liners depending on what you plan on using for a pail.

Finally: the prefolds will fit for awhile, but the Kissaluvs and the newborn covers will get outgrown quickly. It's nice to have a few small covers on hand, so that you don't get caught short when you discover that your baby has grown overnight-- they do that!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts