Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
three month old boy.
i've started signaling toilet during MOST diaper changes. and if i think he is going to pee or poop I hold him over the toilet. i have to learn to trust my instinct more, but also, i just don't know how to start.

how do i hold him over the toilet? i imagine having a potty would be much easier.

how much naked time should he get? it's kind of hard because naked time is pretty much floor time, which at three months, he only likes a little (he still likes to be in my arms alot.)

i dunno...i just don't know where to start. i feel like we're making no progress just signing toilet and me going on gut. but he can't sign back yet.

ideas? suggestions? experience?

· Registered
116 Posts
We pretty much just started too. I say just keep at it and each day gets better and better. Jaydence had almost 8 hours of nekki butt time yesterday. We didn't have one single "accident". It was great. I just love little nekki baby butts! She's so cute!

When you do catch your first pee the feeling is phenomenal. I felt so connected with my baby. After a couple of days of learning to trust her and just going with the flow of things, I got that weird sensation that I'd only read about where mom can actually feel that baby needs to go. It was incredible!

Sometimes I even put her on the regular potty and she has no problem going there if she needs to. I like the convenience of the BBLP becuase we can go anywhere with it, but it's nice to know that we don't *NEED* it.

GL with your LO!

EC IS AWESOME!

· Registered
2,152 Posts
I'm a relative newbie but I'll chime in! There's no one right way to do it, but it's nice to get ideas from other people. I think you can look at the stickies in this forum, too, for ideas. The only time I've held my girl over the grown up toilet I did it squatting, and I couldn't do that all the time. (it was super sweet to hear her little tinkle, though!) I hold her over the sink, and I also have a BBLP to hold her over. I use a cuing sound before she goes and while she's going, but it seems to be that she pretty much associates the potty place with going potty at this point. I'd like to use a hand sign also, but I haven't figured out a good way to do that, since I'm holding her with both hands. Maybe when she gets a little bigger.

As for naked time, that's up to you. I did very little at first, more at night when I knew she had already gone pee for the night, and gradually more and more. Some days I have her naked quite a bit, other days I have her diapers most of the day. It depends on how tired I am and how active our day is. Some days we're super connected ec-wise and some days we're not.

It's nice to have a way of knowing that they've just gone (no diaper, or a cloth diaper with no cover, for example)- it helped me figure out her timing. If I happen to see her peeing, I make the cuing sound. There's lots of info online, too, if you haven't checked that out yet. Day by day is definitely the way to go. My original "goal" was to try to catch one poop a day, I'd have driven myself crazy with any other "goal" and felt like a success with that one, anything else was a bonus!

I offer her the potty when she wakes up from a nap and when I take her out of the carrier or sling, routinely. (I also offer when we come in from walking the dogs, because the one time I didn't, she peed on me! Babies are so smart!!!)

I hope this helps somewhat and isn't too convoluted!

· Registered
347 Posts
When my DD was your DS's age, I somehow discovered that if I carried her in a sling or carrier that she wouldn't pee on my usually. Go ahead a try that for "nakey" time or time without pants, just make sure it's an easy in-easy out carrier, so you can offer when you think she needs to go. Give as much naked time as you're comfortable with. The more you do, the more practice you get, the clearer this signals, but don't overwhelm yourself, take it at the pace you can handle!

It does get easier the more you practice, too. Just hold over the toilet under his thighs, so he kind of squats, or straddle the toilet yourself, either facing the tank, or facing forwards and sitting far back on the seat, holding him under his thighs in between your legs.

· Registered
37 Posts
I've been ecing with my 4 month old for about 4 weeks. In the beginning, I couldn't read his cues. I still can't always, but have gotten more successful in time. The easiest for me was just giving him opportunities. My first attempt was a successful "catch". I just held him over the sink (supporting him by the thighs) and made the pssss sound and he went. It feels so great. He loves it too. And there is a cute little boy in the mirror he gets to chat with. The easiest catch of the day is when your baby first wakes up. My ds goes frequently in the morning hours. I might give him pottytunities every 10 minutes or so. I feel pretty comfortable carrying him around the house naked. And if he does pee on me, no big deal. It's not a lot of urine and urine is sterile when it first comes out. I just change and move on. Here is link showing some positions http://www.diaperfreebaby.org/pottyp...ion=225:14:224

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.