Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have learned so much from this forum and I have a nice little stash
built up for my new little girl coming in Oct...but one thing I haven't addressed is wipes and solution. I have purchashed a few cotton terry wipes, and plan to make some also. I have a couple questions (and would be interested in hearing all the different solutions and wipes "ways" you have!)

--what size do you like your wipes to be?

--do you keep your wipes in a wet solution, or do you keep a squirt or spray bottle filled with solution to spray on a dry wipe?

--how many wipes do you need? (I want to launder every 2-3 days and will be breastfeeding) *note: I tend to be a sort of "religious" cleaner when it comes to baby's bottoms, so I may need more than a normal person

--what do you use for solution? (I have some tea tree oil, but I prefer a citrus scent or maybe lavendar) how do you mix it up and how often?

--do you use disposable wipes for the diaper bag?

another question, not regarding wipes:

--do you throw soiled covers into your regular diaper pail?

In case anyone is curious, here's my current stash list--I wanted to try lots of things and then go with what I liked most when I need the next size up:

18 infant CPFs
6 infant UBIPFs
2 Swaddlebees NB cotton terry fitteds
2 CYA (WAHM) NB fitteds
1 Kissaluvs size 0
3 Kissaluvs contours size S
2 homemade fitteds NB/S
3 Bella Bottoms one size fitteds
1 motherease one size fitted
1 Little Beetle One size 1
1 Little Beetle Lite size 1

3 Prorap NB covers
1 Bummis NB super snap
4 Prorap S covers
2 Bummis SWW S covers
1 homemade cover S
1 Rainbow stitches cover S
1 CYA NB wool wrap
1 home knit LTK ribby wrap
1 Little Beetle Merino wool cover
6 Magic-alls NB AIO
2 homemade Very Baby AIO's
1 Daisy Doodle size S
1 Rumpster AIO size S
1 Bella Bottoms pocket/AIO size S

: WOW! I have purchased way too many diapers--I was just on a roll, I guess! I suppose I can always sell off what I don't like or doesn't work and then buy more of what I do like. My last baby was 10 lbs 7 oz, so I'm not sure how long some of these will last--although, so far, this baby is "normal" sized (my dh says she'll pull through in the end, though
)!

Oh, and I have recently discovered (thanks to this forum) all these "fancy", I guess you call them "hyena" diapers.....I simply MUST have at least 1 or 2, right?!?!

Thanks for reading this long post--I'd love to hear how you do things!

Melissa

wife to a great dh, homeschooling 2 dd's
ages 8 and 6, and
with
: due Oct. 12

·
Registered
159 Posts
--what size do you like your wipes to be? 8x8 is my favorite. At first I thought, "whoa! Huge!" But they give your hand full coverage.

--do you keep your wipes in a wet solution, or do you keep a squirt or spray bottle filled with solution to spray on a dry wipe? At first I had them wet in an old sposie container, but that was just too much upkeep. Now we keep the wipes dry and use a spray bottle to spray as we go. No guessing on how many wipes we need for the next two days, no need to fold and wet or whatever. Just refill the spray bottle.

--how many wipes do you need? (I want to launder every 2-3 days and will be breastfeeding) We launder every 2 days or so, and are breastfeeding and usually I just use one wipe per diaper change. That sounds bad, but cloth wipes really pick up the ickies. With sposie wipes you just kinda' smear it around and need more wipes. We usually go through about 18 before I wash, but we have 3 dozen or so. You might find that's a good number. Plus they get used as all sorts of other things. Much softer than other washcloths for cleaning faces, noses, spit up...

--what do you use for solution? (I have some tea tree oil, but I prefer a citrus scent or maybe lavendar) how do you mix it up and how often? Mostly just water. If I'm feeling like it I'll throw in a bit of baby wash (the only stuff she doesn't react to is Aveeno Baby Wash with oatmeal) and a drop of TTO. I've got sweet orange, tea tree (more), tangerine, and litsea cubeba essential oils coming to me and I'm excited to play around with those. I also have some Home Fragrance Oil from The Body Shop that I've been known to mix with HOT water (and only two or three drops for 4 cups at most) for wipes for a splash of a fun scent. There's stuff like Baby Bits, Dixie Drops, and Honey Chunks that come premade and you just dissolve in hot water, but I'm cheap and our system works.

We DID, but The Husband and I both agree that disposable wipes aren't as nice as cloth. The cloth really cleans better. So now I've got cloth wipes in it and a travel spray bottle that I got from Target. FWIW, if you do use sposie wipes, you can just toss 'em in with the diaper and wash 'em and then take 'em out with the clean dipes before the dryer. I also read today that someone uses washed sposie wipes as a disposable liner, which I thought was kinda' interesting.

--do you throw soiled covers into your regular diaper pail? Yep!

You don't seem to have many pockets on your list and you might find that you like one or two. We had some xsmall FBs that were great for nighttime. Granted they wake up in the middle of the night, but we double stuffed her and she went 12 hours because if we changed her in the middle of the night, she was a lot more alert and harder to get back to sleep. SMJAE made a great hemp doubler that we used under a regular micro insert.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamasthree
Hi! I have learned so much from this forum and I have a nice little stash
built up for my new little girl coming in Oct...but one thing I haven't addressed is wipes and solution. I have purchashed a few cotton terry wipes, and plan to make some also. I have a couple questions (and would be interested in hearing all the different solutions and wipes "ways" you have!)

Quote:

Congratulations! I'm kinda laid back about diapering but I'll share my experiences with you. Most of my practices I arrived at on my own. I like to experiment.

--what size do you like your wipes to be? Mine are just cheap-o cotton washcloths that I picked up in a dozen/$3 at Target. I have considered backing them with flannel but haven't gotten around to it. They work really well as they are.

--do you keep your wipes in a wet solution, or do you keep a squirt or spray bottle filled with solution to spray on a dry wipe? I re-use an old Dr. Bronner's 8-oz soap bottle, and just squirt it onto the dry wipe.

--how many wipes do you need? (I want to launder every 2-3 days and will be breastfeeding) *note: I tend to be a sort of "religious" cleaner when it comes to baby's bottoms, so I may need more than a normal person
I'm the same way about my baby's bottoms. I have 2 dozen, which often double for after-meal face wipes or dirty hands wipes.

--what do you use for solution? (I have some tea tree oil, but I prefer a citrus scent or maybe lavendar) how do you mix it up and how often? My babes have really sensitive skin, so I don't use any EO's. I fill my bottle with water and just a splash of Bronner's baby-mild soap. I have considered using their lavender or tea-tree, but never bothered because I don't know how their skin would take it. Anyway, I always have baby-mild on hand for bathing. It's easy because I don't have to bother with mixing and measuring. Just a spash of soap and water the rest of the way.

yup.

--do you throw soiled covers into your regular diaper pail? I don't use a diaper pail, but hang rinsed dirties on a clothes-drying rack in the bathtub or else toss into a dishpan under the sink (depending on my mood) Diaper pails are too smelly for my sensibilities, and I tend to put off washing too long when I use them. But yes, I rinse and toss my covers in with the rest.

In case anyone is curious, here's my current stash list--I wanted to try lots of things and then go with what I liked most when I need the next size up:

18 infant CPFs
6 infant UBIPFs
2 Swaddlebees NB cotton terry fitteds
2 CYA (WAHM) NB fitteds
1 Kissaluvs size 0
3 Kissaluvs contours size S
2 homemade fitteds NB/S
3 Bella Bottoms one size fitteds
1 motherease one size fitted
1 Little Beetle One size 1
1 Little Beetle Lite size 1

3 Prorap NB covers
1 Bummis NB super snap
4 Prorap S covers
2 Bummis SWW S covers
1 homemade cover S
1 Rainbow stitches cover S
1 CYA NB wool wrap
1 home knit LTK ribby wrap
1 Little Beetle Merino wool cover
6 Magic-alls NB AIO
2 homemade Very Baby AIO's
1 Daisy Doodle size S
1 Rumpster AIO size S
1 Bella Bottoms pocket/AIO size S

: WOW! I have purchased way too many diapers--I was just on a roll, I guess! I suppose I can always sell off what I don't like or doesn't work and then buy more of what I do like. My last baby was 10 lbs 7 oz, so I'm not sure how long some of these will last--although, so far, this baby is "normal" sized (my dh says she'll pull through in the end, though
)!

Nice stash! I'm jealous! I had big babies too. I am using CPF's and Imse Vimse covers, because I am soon to be diapering 2 kiddos and don't want to have 2 seperate diaper stashes.

Thanks for reading this long post--I'd love to hear how you do things!

Melissa

wife to a great dh, homeschooling 2 dd's
ages 8 and 6, and
with
: due Oct. 12

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I just use washcloths and wet with tap water as needed. I have about 3 dozen and use 2-3 each change and carry disposable wipes when out. Also, everything diaper related that's dirty goes in my pail and gets washed together.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
--what size do you like your wipes to be?
about the size of a baby wash cloth

--do you keep your wipes in a wet solution, or do you keep a squirt or spray bottle filled with solution to spray on a dry wipe?

We use dry wipes and just run it under warm water I have some calornia baby diaper area wash I use when messy or need a litle more

I typically use between 2-5 wipes a change I'm aslo a big time cleaner and wipe down even if just pee I also use a dry one to dry her bum as it cuts don on rashes.

--what do you use for solution? (I have some tea tree oil, but I prefer a citrus scent or maybe lavendar) how do you mix it up and how often?

I dont I do have some Calfornia baby diaper rash area spray I love and a bottle lasts me about 6 months

Yes cloth ones just got moldy I also use sposie wipes if really messy she tollorates them better than cloth.

--do you throw soiled covers into your regular diaper pail?

no I have a smaller pail (just a waste basket lined with a mesh wash bag) I find cover reeked when I kept them stored with dirty diapers. I do wash them with the diapers but dont machine dry.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just wanted to pipe in that I recently discovered Northern Essence Foaming Baby Wipes solution and I'm in love with it. It smells heavenly and comes in a neat foaming container. I also have used Kissaluvs Diaper Lotion potion, which I spray on DD's bottom and use a dry wipe. I recommend trying both (though I prefer the NE personally). As for wipes, we use ones that are around 7" or 8" square and this size is good.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
It sounds like you have an awesome NB stash. Way more diverse than mine ever was. I only had pf and NB proraps.

Quote:

--what size do you like your wipes to be? I like mine big. Mine are 8x10 and made from unbleached flannel surged around the edges.

--do you keep your wipes in a wet solution, or do you keep a squirt or spray bottle filled with solution to spray on a dry wipe? We keep our wipes in a wipe warmer that isn't turned on and use a "peri" bottle to wet them just prior to use. We tried keeping them moist, but somehow they got moldy.

We go through about 30-40 wipes every 3 days.

--what do you use for solution? (I have some tea tree oil, but I prefer a citrus scent or maybe lavendar) how do you mix it up and how often? I make my own solution that consists of distilled water, lavender oil, tea tree oil, and a small squirt of baby soap.

--do you use disposable wipes for the diaper bag? We use cloth wipes with a mini peri bottle of solution. I just put them in one of those handy portable wipes container made for 'sposie wipes.

--do you throw soiled covers into your regular diaper pail? We put all of our dipe stuff into the pail. We do a soak prior to washing with BacOut to get all the stains/stink out.
You can see pics of my stash here.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
-what size do you like your wipes to be?

I ordered 8x8 size of these http://crystalscloth.com/store/WsDefault.asp?One=65 I had smaller sized wipes that I used with my first and found them a bit too small at times.

I'll be using a wipes solution and not keeping wipes wet. That way I don't need to remember to wet them or end up with musty wipes if I've wet too many for the day.

I ordered 50. If it ends up being too many, some will be delegated for hands/face.

I ordered the Northern Essence foaming wipes solution from here http://crystalscloth.com/store/WsDefault.asp?One=77 I ordered the travel size for the diaper bag, large size for home, and the refill so I can make more when I am out. I could likely make my own, but this saves me the time. I ordered the version without tea tree oil as I am allergic to TTO so didn't want to take the chance the new babe would be as well. If I find it doesn't have the scent I want, I'll just buy a nice essential oil and add a drop or two.

With my first, I did for awhile, but I hated them. I found they smeared poop all over rather than picking it up, if I didn't use them fast enough they dried out in those cheap travel containers which allow air in, and I always had to unfold them to get the size I wanted which is a pain since the folded parts sticks to the rest of the wipe. I changed to carrying cloth with me and it was so much easier!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the responses--I guess I better get busy making those wipes now, looks like I'll be needing a lot! I used sposies (dipes and wipes) with my first two, so cloth diapering is going to be a new adventure for me--one I must say I'm looking forward too (is that wierd--all my friends seem to think I am crazy
). I will use lots of this advice--thanks again!

Melissa

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.