Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Hi!  I'm due December 5th (will turn 37 weeks after midnight!!) with a little baby boy.  We have cloth diapers all ready to go but I've always been interested in EC.  I just have a few questions!</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>1. How do you aim a boy?!  Right now I live in an over-carpeted apartment and my biggest worry is that he'll spray all over the place unless I aim him in the bathtub (which I don't want him to associate eliminating in).</p>
<p>2. When is the best time to start?  Since this is going to be my first I don't want to overwhelm myself with trying to learn too much too fast if I don't have to.</p>
<p>3. What supplies should I start with?</p>

·
Registered
120 Posts
<p>I am a first time mom to a 4mo so I can't offer you a ton of experienced advice but I'll share with you what I've discovered.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>First off, we are only part time and we do cloth diapers as well. Being a first time mom I didn't want the added stress of being peed on all the time while figuring out how to mother so we've always used back-up diapers. That being said, if you're using flats or pre-folds I'd reccomend leaving off the cover and dressing baby just in the prefold, wrapped snugly in blankets. DS was born in the summer so we had a weather advantage but it's nice to have a lot of skin to skin time for the first few weeks at least. For EC, it lets you know right away when he eliminates so you can start to figure out his patterns and change him right away. You don't want to dress him in clothes without a cover or else you'll have to change his outfit everytime he pees. (long sleeve shirts and socks are a good way to dress him a bit and avoid the wet onsie, also I found sock that were a fwe months too big we could pull up to his knee and they stayed on quite well.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>For the first little while, he will pee A LOT. I got used to offering him the potty almost every time I changed his diaper. Right after he wakes up is a really good time too. After about two weeks, he started pooping EVERY time I nursed him. I mostly didn't bother trying to catch those (just kept him in the diaper) but if you have a potty or a receptacle you're comfy with, by all means try it out. At about 6-8 weeks, his pooping settled down and he's more of a 1-2 a day-er. Some BF babies go a few days between poops too, so who knows how yours will turn out!</p>
<p>I found aiming him was pretty easy. I generally hold him in a seated position, his back against my stomach, each hand around one of his thighs. You'll find it easy enough to use a finger to direct his stream. However, there will be times when you forget or you don't get in position in time and he will pee VERY eradically. I didn't realize pee could come out at a 90degree angle and get ALL over him. It can. By about 3months, his penis has settled in a distinct direction and I find I really don't need to direct him anymore. It usually always goes in the same direction and usually pretty controlled.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>At the moment, I offer him a chance to eliminate a few times a day, as I remember. (I don't stress too much about catching every single one. We also have a fair amount of naked bum time, usually with a prefold under his bum. I am definitely more aware of his elimination signals when he's naked and I catch almost 100%.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Sorry to be so long winded. I hope that helps!</p>

·
Registered
310 Posts
<p>I use a Baby Bjorn Little Potty with my son, and it has a little splash guard that contains him just fine. When I hold him over the big toilet, I just tip him forward a bit and it's fine. Also, baby pee hardly smells, so even if a little gets on the carpet, it's not a big deal.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We started at about one month old. Before that, I was just overwhelmed! If you have maternity leave, I would try to start at least 1 month before I had to go back to work, just so you can figure it all out.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We started with no supplies for EC--we wanted to try it for a few weeks before investing. He wears a prefold, usually with a cover. When we started, he was under 10 lbs, so holding him over the toilet was easy. Now that he's about 12.5 lbs., it's nice to have the bblp to take some of his weight.</p>

·
Registered
446 Posts
Also, my 2c, a product called bac-out, you can find it at natural food stores, is great for if you happen to get some pee on the carpet, and many other laundry issues, but I agree w pp, there really isn't much smell.

·
Registered
63 Posts
<p>I used a lot of cut rags and small towels when DS was born this summer. It might be harder for a winter baby, unless you hang out near the wood stove all the time ; ), but holding him, nursing him and observing him naked over a cloth was really helpful in getting to know his signs and patterns in the first weeks/months.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>helpful supplies:</p>
<p> </p>
<p>small towels</p>
<p>prefold or flat diapers (with Snappi)</p>
<p>med size plastic tubs (for catching dirties and pees-especially great near the bed at night with a towel spread out under it!)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I also find soft wool pants and nightgowns to be extremely helpful and ideal clothing for my EC baby</p>

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<p>I just ordered the Baby Bjorn Little Potty.  Luckily I can stay home (at least for now) so I don't have to worry about rushing to get things ready.</p>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts