Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm due in December with my first child. I'm am in search of info about cloth diapers. There is so much to choose from and it is all very overwhelming. I plan of BF and hope it works for us. I also hope CD works for us too. I know I want to use a pocket diaper. I'm opting not to use the AIO b/c I heard they don't clean/dry as well as the others. Prefolds just do not seem like a good match for me either.

I am looking for the easiest possible diaper that "works" like a disposable diaper (no folding, pinning, etc...ready to go diaper). I think I like the Fuzzi Bunz brand, I have heard a lot of + things about them, but I don't know of other brands that work in a similar fashion. I am looking for comments from parents who have used this brand or other comparable brands.

What did you like about this diaper?

What did you dislike?

How long can a baby wear them between changing?

How many will I need of each size?

How does the newborn diaper work with the whole belly button issue?

Did you use liners? If so, when did you start using them?

Did you BF?

Did you baby get diaper rash? If yes, can you use ointment?

Did you have leaks?

How did you clean the diapers? Did you different detergent than what you wash your clothes in?

Any additional info?

Thank you for your help! Have a healthy day!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueIrises
I'm due in December with my first child. I'm am in search of info about cloth diapers. There is so much to choose from and it is all very overwhelming. I plan of BF and hope it works for us. I also hope CD works for us too. I know I want to use a pocket diaper. I'm opting not to use the AIO b/c I heard they don't clean/dry as well as the others. Prefolds just do not seem like a good match for me either.

I am looking for the easiest possible diaper that "works" like a disposable diaper (no folding, pinning, etc...ready to go diaper). I think I like the Fuzzi Bunz brand, I have heard a lot of + things about them, but I don't know of other brands that work in a similar fashion. I am looking for comments from parents who have used this brand or other comparable brands.

What did you like about this diaper? I have not used the Fuzzi Bunz brand, but I'll tell you my favorites....I am really liking fitteds right now, they are very easy and what I like about them is they are breathable if using a wool cover w/ them. They make what is called an AI2, which basically means the soaker snaps out and some are designed so that even if they are double layered they are not 100% stiched all the way around so they wash/dry nicely. My favorite pockets are happy heiny, Bumgenius (they are "One size" a very nice feature) & swaddlebees, my favorite AI2 that doesn't require a cover can be found at www.recycleze.com under AIO - the soaker snaps out. I would really suggest you get a couple of a few different brands before deciding on just one kind. Also the www.diaperpin.com has ratings for all different diapers, its worth a look before you buy. I also wanted to mention that I think you should reconsider prefolds for a newborn and switch to the pockets at 3 or 4 months old, as many many people have learned the hard way pockets just simply don't always work for newborns. The added bonus of pfs and newborns is they typically grow so quickly and you would spend a fortune on "small" diapers only to have the baby outgrow them in a few weeks. My dd was 16lbs at 6weeks old and I would have been crushed if I spent all the money for 6 weeks worth of diapers! PFs are very inexpensive and you would only need to buy a few covers to with them

What did you dislike? I haven't found I dislike anything about cd'ing or any particular diaper, with the exception of Kushies classics...they just didn't do it for me

How long can a baby wear them between changing? Your best bet is to change them as frequently as they need it. NBs poo alot and pee frequently. Its best not to set a "time", but just follow your baby's needs

How many will I need of each size? I will leave this question to the experts

How does the newborn diaper work with the whole belly button issue? I believe some come with a cut out, but you can just fold PFs under

Did you use liners? If so, when did you start using them? Initially I did, but they were more of a pain than anything...I'd say save your money. BF poo can just simply go right in the wash, no need to rinse as its water soluable. If anything invest in a mini shower for your toilet.

Did you BF? Yes and still do, however I didn't start out CDing (and I'm very sorry I didn't start sooner)

Did you baby get diaper rash? If yes, can you use ointment? Yes she tends to get them now and then, but they seem to be food related (like when she has tomatoes) and there are some "safe" brands (Burts Bees) to use with cloth or you can use liners for the times you need diaper creme

Did you have leaks? I have never had any leaking issues and we use cloth exclusively. We use fitteds and wool covers at night and no leaks at all, my dd sleeps 11-12 hours straight

How did you clean the diapers? I do a full cold wash with no soap, then do a full wash cycle on warm using Charlies Soap and then do an additional rinse Did you different detergent than what you wash your clothes in? Initially I used Charlies only on the diapers, but I found that I like it so much I use it on everything now, its a great detergent and is available at www.charliesoap.com

Any additional info?Congratulations both on your upcoming arrival and your decision to use cloth & breastfeed. On a side note - I work full time and my DH is with our dd all day and then she goes to the sitters for a few hours each afternoon and everyone is on board with the cloth. Its a great investment, good luck!

Thank you for your help! Have a healthy day!
Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
159 Posts
What did you like about this diaper? I like their convenience factor. They are pretty foolproof. I also like the cute colors. Much more fun than sposies.

What did you dislike? Ummm...I've heard stuffing 'em can be a drag, but I'm kinda' so-so on that. It doesn't bug me quite yet.

How long can a baby wear them between changing? Abby goes about 12 hours in her night diaper. We put a MOE insert and then a 3layer cotton fleece hemp insert (bought from www.hyenacart.com/smjae) and it holds her all night.

How many will I need of each size? We have 10 xsmall FBs and they run/ran (she's outgrowing 'em) us a whole day. Now it's nice because we have significantly bigger smalls stash, so I can wash every other day. I'd say have at least 12, but 18 or 24 for smalls would be more comfy. The bigger sizes you could probably do with less because they go less.

How does the newborn diaper work with the whole belly button issue? Y'know...I didn't buy any NB dipes because most smalls say they go as low as 7lbs or so and I was expecting an 8lber. Well, Abby was 8lbs on the dot, but her legs were chicken legs. My MIL found us a great deal on her xsmall FBs and so we use those. She still fits in 'em, but is slowly outgrowing the rise. (She's 2 months, btw.) Some dipes have the umbilical dip (like kissaluvs, but they're fitteds). For us, the xs FBs were low enough in the rise that we didn't have to worry about it irritating her tummy.

Did you use liners? If so, when did you start using them? Don't use liners. Her breastfed poo washes right out.

Did you BF? Yep! Exclusively!

Did you baby get diaper rash? If yes, can you use ointment? Abby is less rashy in cloth. However, if you want to use ointment you can use Burt's Bees without issues or get some fleece liners (just some cheap fleece whereever and cut it up...no sewing needed) and lay it in to protect the dipes. We have Dixie Babies Bum Butter and it works great too. Northern Essence also makes a CD safe ointment/cream.

Did you have leaks? Abby's never leaked outta' cloth. Sposies? yeah. Many times.

How did you clean the diapers? Did you different detergent than what you wash your clothes in? I do a cold rinse (sometimes a soak if it's a really stinky load), and a hot wash (which is automatically followed by a cold rinse). Inserts go in the dry, pockets hang outside. By the time the inserts are dry, so are the pockets. And because they line dried in the sun, the stains disappear (if there are any). Our detergent (Sam's brand) is the same for dipes and clothes.

Any additional info? If you're not wanting to spend a whole lot of money on a NB stash (a lot of people worry because MOST kids grow outta' 'em quickly...Abby's the oddball at 2 months and still fitting 'em), you might look into the All Together Deluxe AIO. I know you said you didn't want AIOs necessarily because they don't dry or clean well, but these have birdseye inners and they get clean pretty good. Plus, they're pretty cheap at nickisdiapers.com. http://nickisdiapers.com/catalog.php?item=10 We had a few and they worked great to contain the mess and keep her bum happy. They're not the greatest diapers...they only come in white and the snap tape is a little annoying, but they're functional and cheap for that newborn stage. It really is pretty easy and fun and addicting...

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
We use Fuzzi Bunz.

What did you like about this diaper?
Just like you said, no folding, pinning, just stuff an absorbant material in it, snap it on and go. I pre-stuff mine and put them on a shelf so there's no extra work at changing time.

What did you dislike?
They are made of a synthetic material and realistically there isn't a more natural option that could be practical for us right now but I wish I could be using 100% organic cotton.

How long can a baby wear them between changing?
2-3 hours during the day, I don't change at night anymore but I did when he was a newborn.

36 smalls, 24 mediums and larges has me washing every 2-3 days.

The goo got on the diapers sometimes but didn't seem to irritate him too much. I folded down the waist after I'd snapped it on.

No, never.

Did you BF?
Yes and still am.

I have occasionally used a little ointment. Some people say it's a nono on microfleece but it never seemed to hurt ours.

Did you have leaks?
Sometimes out the legholes.

How did you clean the diapers? Did you different detergent than what you wash your clothes in?
Dry pail only with Fuzzi Bunz. You don't want mold on your diapers, you'll have to throw them away.
On wash day, I start the washer on a short cold rinse cycle, remove the stuffers and toss both the diaper and the stuffer in. Come back after the rinse is done, start the washer on the longest, hottest wash setting, add 1/4 cup of detergent and let it go. After that, I run a quick cold rinse cycle and then toss the stuffers in the dryer and hang the Fuzzi Bunz to dry.
Any additional info?
All Free and Clear, Tide, Dr. Bronners Soap, Bio-Kleen liquid and powder, 7th Generation, Dreft and Ivory Snow are all known to cause build-up and make Fuzzi Bunz wick, which means leakage.
You have to find a detergent that does not contain UV brighteners, stain repellants or stain guards, bleach, phosphates or other additives that can build up on your diapers and cause problems. We use Sun, which is the cheapest detergent I've ever seen.

·
Registered
315 Posts
What did you like about this diaper? I love how quick and easy they are for night-time changing.

What did you dislike? price for length of use. My DS was only in them for about 6 weeks before moving to mediums.

How long can a baby wear them between changing? I use them for night-time. Depends on what you stuff them with and how much baby pees. I get about 12 hours now with 2 inserts (microfiber and hemp).

You need between 24-30 diapers for a 2 day supply.

I didn't start using FB until it fell off since it cut the cord and caused it to bleed. I used prefolds with wool until it did.

Nope. I rinse immediately after changing the poopy ones and never had a stain last that the sun didn't get out. (Second child in cds)

Did you BF?
Yes.

Nope.

Did you have leaks?

Only when I under-estimated how long to go before changing. Haven't had a blow out yet which I had with my previous children in spoies.

I love Charlie's soap. Though I have used Tide for them but due to my water, I had nasty build-up issues with inserts.

Any additional info?
When I do it again, I'm going just start with prefolds and a few covers.

I wish I had just waited until DS was born since he was 9+ lbs and didn't even fit into NB. I ended up losing over $150. All the diapers were in almost new condition since he used them less than 6 weeks. Had I waited to get the more expensive ones, I would have just gone straight to mediums and used PFs until he grew into them. I loved prefolds with NB and ended up using them 95% of the time even with a huge stash of FBs.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I just wanted to pipe in that it looks like most people are telling you how long they go between changes w/ their dc "now", but since you will have a newborn my general rule was after each feeding. There really was no difference between day and night diapering in the first month or so...it was pretty much every 2-3 hours. When dd was getting up in the night she would get her diaper changed, now that she sleeps through she goes 11-12 hours in the same diaper and has done that since about 10 months old.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks ladies, I am learning so much from all your responses. I really aprreciate all your help.

Have a healthy day!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts