Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a first time mom and I have heard of cloth diapers but never thought of them as a possibility. Now that I am a mom I want to use cloth diapers, however, I do not even know where to began. I do not know anyone who uses cloth diapers. Please help or direct me to resources that will help me know what fabirics are best etc. Are pins still used? I am a total newbie to cloth diapers. Any help will be appreciated. Also, I live in Atlanta and if anyone know of a place to even get them, that would be helpful as well!!

·
Registered
729 Posts
CDs are a bit overwhelming at first, but it doesn't take long before you know all there is to know. First you need to figure out your budget as that will surely influence the kinds of diapers you're able to afford. My advice would be for you to buy a dozen prefolds, some snappis & a few bummis super whisper wrap covers to go along with those, that is the economic route. And then a few pocket diapers (Bumgenius, Happy Heiny, Swaddlebees, Fuzzi Buns) and/or some AI2 (snap out lining) neither of these require a cover. Or you can try some fitteds. There is snap or aplix (velcro) closings to chose from, the advantage of the snaps is harder for older babies to figure out how to undue them, while some babies can really master the quick release aplix at a young age. Good laundry tabs will keep your diapers from sticking all together in the wash if you get aplix closures. There is also the hyena cart at www.hyenacart.com to view WAHM diapers, very nice...but some are quite spendy. Lots of materials to pick from as well, hemp, microterry, microfleece, organic cotton, organic cotton valour and others. Some of my favorite stores to shop online are www.nickisdiapers.com and www.abbyslane.com I don't know any locations that have a good selection in a typical store though. Other than you can buy your basic prefolds at walmart/target type places. However if you want to do prefolds you are better off ordering chinese prefolds or indian prefolds. I'd suggest you just keep lurking here for a week or so and now that the search function is back on you can check that out as well. Good luck and feel free to ask specific questions, its hard to give a general overview with so much information. Some stores have nice write ups about the "how to's" maybe some people can share some links with you.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
I just started CDing and it was so helpful to go and read all the websites. www.greenmountaindiapers.com had a ton of great info on it. Post in the tribal areas and see if anyone knows of any CD stores in your area. Thats what I did and it was so helpful to go into the stores and see the options as well as have a person there and ready to answer about a zillion questions.
I really love my pocket diapers, Happy heinys. And prefolds are great because they can do so much. I use them alot!! I do not use pins or snappis at all, have thought about getting a snappi though. I just put the prefold in a cover. I also use the prefolds to stuff my pockets. I also like having some AIO (all in ones, this is diaper and cover in one) for going out of the house. check out the links in the diaper section they are great. Most of the online stores have how to info sections on CDing. www.diaperpin.com has reviews of CDs and other related products.

Allison

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I'm going to recomend prefolds to start- My personal favorite kind of dipe, financially friendly, and can serve multi-purposes! If you decide you want a 'fancy' dipe later on, you can always use your infant prefolds as inserts for pocket dipes. And they make great rags/cloths (or you could sell them)!

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I recommend starting out with prefolds trifoled in velcro wraps. That is one of the easiest, least $$$ ways to go. If you end up not liking that system you can sell them online and try something else. Happy CDing! www.nickisdiapers.com and the granitesmith store on ebay have good prices.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Since I didn't know anyone that CD and had only used sposies, I started w/ an all-in-one (AIO) b/c they are basically a washable sposie in terms of ease of use. I got them on the trading post here on mdc. Once I got comfy w/ the aio's I've branched out and tried some other types. Depends on how much $ you want to invest (keep in mind, well-cared for dipes are sell-able). We also love our cloth wipes! (large wash cloths cut into quarters, edges hemmed).

My LLL group has quite a few CDers. Maybe you could attend a meeting and ask around. Most CDers are happy to share their experiences.

ellacy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts