Mothering Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone!<br><br>
My husband and I just started trying since last December. My doctor prescribed to me some chewable prenatals calle "Precare" last month as he knows my hard time taking normal pills, specially some prenatals that are really big. Anyway I just recently noticed that the Precare chewables don't have all the necessary amounts of Folic Acid (1mcg to be exact) and as we all know that's really vital. Also it doesn't have vitamin A, and it doesn't have all of the necessary amounts of some other vitamins. Before the precare chewables, I was taking the Flinstones chewables along with one folic acid pill per day. This is where I would like all your opinions: Should I continue with the Precare as usual or should I go back to the old ones, or any ideas or suggestions would be definetely appreciated.<br><br>
I am not trying to put any product down by any means. Just trying to do the best thing here as we in the past have had one misscarriage<img alt="" class="inlineimg" src="http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/greensad.gif" style="border:0px solid;" title="greensad">. However the good news is that we'll find out at the end of this month if I'm pregnant or not<img alt="" class="inlineimg" src="http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/smile.gif" style="border:0px solid;" title="smile">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
699 Posts
Not heard of the precare before...but if you've noticed it doesn't have the folic acid dose needed - I'd go back to taking it seperate. That's just me - HTH!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
Are you sure it is one 1 mcg and not 1 mg?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
You can grind up vitamins and put them in something you're eating, too, usually they'll grind to a powder with just a plate and the back of a spoon. I like to buy food-based prenatals at the health food store because I feel like my body can use them better. I don't like to swallow chemicals if I don't have to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,765 Posts
If you've already bought them, I wouldn't want to waste and would just keep taking them, plus an extra folic acid pill. When you run out of those, you can buy something different.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>Kamie</strong> <a href="/community/forum/post/10801917"><img alt="View Post" class="inlineimg" src="/community/img/forum/go_quote.gif" style="border:0px solid;"></a></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">Are you sure it is one 1 mcg and not 1 mg?</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
I am sorry, you're right it's 1 mg, but still is that enough?<br>
Thanx<img alt="" class="inlineimg" src="http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/redface.gif" style="border:0px solid;" title="Embarrassment">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everybody that replied! I definetely got the answers that I wanted!<br><br>
Thanx<img alt="" class="inlineimg" src="http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/thumb.gif" style="border:0px solid;" title="thumbs up">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>desperatemommytobe</strong> <a href="/community/forum/post/10818776"><img alt="View Post" class="inlineimg" src="/community/img/forum/go_quote.gif" style="border:0px solid;"></a></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">I am sorry, you're right it's 1 mg, but still is that enough?<br>
Thanx<img alt="" class="inlineimg" src="http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/redface.gif" style="border:0px solid;" title="Embarrassment"></div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
<br><br>
The recommendation is that woman get 400 micrograms (mcg), or 0.4 milligrams (mg). So it would not hurt to take extra folic acid. My pernatal has .1 mg and I just make sure to eat lots of folic acid rich foods in addition to my prenatal. Here is the conversion if you are interested.<br><br>
1000 micrograms = 1 milligram, and 1000 milligrams = 1 gram.<br><br>
Kamie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>desperatemommytobe</strong> <a href="/community/forum/post/10818776"><img alt="View Post" class="inlineimg" src="/community/img/forum/go_quote.gif" style="border:0px solid;"></a></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">I am sorry, you're right it's 1 mg, but still is that enough?<br>
Thanx<img alt="" class="inlineimg" src="http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/redface.gif" style="border:0px solid;" title="Embarrassment"></div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
<br><br>
The recommendation is that woman get 400 micrograms (mcg), or 0.4 milligrams (mg). So it would not hurt to take extra folic acid. My pernatal has .1 mg and I just make sure to eat lots of folic acid rich foods in addition to my prenatal. Here is the conversion if you are interested.<br><br>
1000 micrograms = 1 milligram, and 1000 milligrams = 1 gram.<br><br>
Kamie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,612 Posts
those chocolaty chewey things are packed with folic acid, you may try taking those too if you have a hard time with pills
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the conversion, it really helps! Also thanks for the chocolate things packed with folic acid....I absolutely love chocolate!! I am taking my chewable prenatals but I am also eating foods rich in folic acid. I also have folic acid pills just in case. Thanks again everyone, I'll keep you all posted when I find out I am pregnant<img alt="" class="inlineimg" src="http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/winky.gif" style="border:0px solid;" title="Wink">
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top