Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm so relieved to find this forum. Im sure you won't be able to get rid of me as more and more questions arise. A little background info first. I am a very new doula (in training). I'm a mother of two little ones, with a background in front line social work (so I feel I have excellent experience with client interaction). Working as a doula felt like a good fit. I've been studying on my own, and working with a good friend who is an established doula as a mentor. Recently I've taken my first client. She was referred to me by another doula. She's a young mom in a high risk situation who is unable to afford a doula, so I'm donating my time on both compassionate grounds and to gain experience. So far so good, I'm getting good feedback and I feel very comfortable in this role. I've decided to take a correspondence course, working towards certification, to help brush up on my knowledge and gain a better footing.

That's where the questions come in! As part of my certification program I'll be required to attend 3 births (one of which will be my current client). I'm wondering how it would be best to arrange for the other two births. Would you recommend approaching other doulas and asking if I can shadow them? Or perhaps advertise services to moms directly? Would I volunteer the time for those first training births, or charge a reduced rate, or jump in with both feet and take two "real" clients?

My second question is about the concept of a back up doula. I'm currently a SAHM to a two year old, and a 6 year old. So far I've arranged for babysitters to go on call with me around due dates, and my partner will be at home with the kids during the evenings, so I think I'm good on that front. That being said, emergencies happen, especially with two little ones in the house. I'd really like to find a back up I can trust as soon as possible. What's the protocol there? Do I just reach out to other doulas and ask them if theyd consider it? Do back ups usually require upfront payment? Or would I just give them a portion of the fees I'd collected if the substitute ends up taking over at the birth?

Sorry for the long post, guys. Just trying to make sense of all the ins and outs. Thanks in advance for your help :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Or perhaps advertise services to moms directly? Would I volunteer the time for those first training births, or charge a reduced rate, or jump in with both feet and take two "real" clients?
My opinion - if the person knows you are not certified and not experienced and still hires you, you should do it pro-bono, as you are still learning and therefore the possibility of mistakes is higher. I'm also assuming that you have been to other births before? Because attending three births for certification is pretty limited experience. Can you spend some time with another doula attending births? Our doula was invaluable, but I almost died during my labor (multiple organ failure), yes, everyone starts somewhere but thee births seems to be rather thin in the experience category before certification.

My second question is about the concept of a back up doula. I'm currently a SAHM to a two year old, and a 6 year old. So far I've arranged for babysitters to go on call with me around due dates, and my partner will be at home with the kids during the evenings, so I think I'm good on that front. That being said, emergencies happen, especially with two little ones in the house. I'd really like to find a back up I can trust as soon as possible. What's the protocol there? Do I just reach out to other doulas and ask them if theyd consider it? Do back ups usually require upfront payment? Or would I just give them a portion of the fees I'd collected if the substitute ends up taking over at the birth?
Am I misunderstanding the bold part? The baby sitter goes on a call with you, as in brings your children with you to appointments? I hope I'm misunderstanding that. :)

My doula had a backup for my first birth, and we spoke a few times, but I never met her face to face. As I understood it, if she attended my birth she was going to get half of the money we had paid.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts