Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My poor little guy, who's about 12 days old, has a very red bottom and I'm not sure how to make it better! I think part of the problem is our diaper-changing routine (we're using sposies at the moment).

As it is, when DS wakes up, we change the diaper right away. He nurses, falls back asleep and usually poops when he's sleeping. Since he does 2-3 hour stretches, he's sitting in his poop, since I've been really reluctant to wake the sleeping baby!

Should I suck it up and wake him up to change him as soon as he poops? Remind me how long the constant pooping lasts (it's been a long time since I had a newborn!). Any other tips? I've been using Weleda cream on his bottom, but it doesn't seem to help much.

TIA!!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
We used chlorine free diapers early on and also A&D cream. She had a diaper rash early on though, but looking back, I think it was more food allergy related than anything else. A&D cream works really well, and I heard Eucerin is nice too. Instead of using wipes, maybe just try running water over his bottom- that's what we do sometimes for DD as well...

·
Registered
392 Posts
DD is 12 days old too! We switched to just using washcloths and water for the moment. Even the sensitive wipes were too much for her. I hate when I change her and two minutes later she poops.
If I think it was a big poop I'll change her but if it's just a tiny bit I'll leave her be until she wakes the next time. We use Triple Paste but my ped. says to put vaseline on them at every diaper change. I dont like vaseline so I don't do that but if there was a natural equivalent I would.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, everyone. We're using water and cotton wipes, so that's not the issue. I think it was something I ate that disagreed with him-- it seems better today. I'm also being very vigilant about changing as much as possible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.