Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our good friends are expecting their second CD'd child, a girl, next month, and I'm going to her baby shower next weekend. It's been almost 5 years since she CD'd her first, and she recently told me that the velcro on her wraps has degraded. She feels that she has all the diapers she needs (she has prefolds and contours-- or what she called "looks like a giant maxi pad"). I know that she'll cloth diaper, although she may use disposables at night or when her DH changes the baby (though I recently worked him over pretty good until he had to admit that he would change cloth diapers).

She's a pretty simple person, although she also likes pretty and artistic things, so I think with a little nudge she could become a hyena
. I would like to introduce her to some of the modern day cloth diapering improvements, and this is what I've bought so far:

Mini-shower (for the husband who said he hated sticking his hands in the toilet)
3 Kissaluvs size 0 colors (melon, lemon, lime)
2 Diaperbabies Bittybuns small (strawberry, plum)

2 tye dyed prefolds from www.tiedyedreams.com (1 regular, 1 infant)
3 snappis (she said that she just likes to trifold and lay them in the wrap, but I figured it couldn't hurt)

2 Newborn bumpy covers (1 day, 1 night), in sealife and safari prints
4 bumkins small covers
1 hand dyed newborn wool soaker that I hope to win off ebay

Hemp fleece topped doublers

So, I still want to spend a little more money on her
I'm tempted to buy her a couple of more fitteds, maybe some with print outers, if I can find them instock, because that's what I like. But since she already has so many diapers and I've already bought five fitteds, maybe I should either buy more covers or buy a couple of small happy heinys, which she could use with her prefolds or contours.

Also, I'd like to make this baby shower a bit of a show-off for cloth diapering (as an advocacy opportunity, there will be tons of moms there).

What do you think I should do?

1. Buy more covers (technically she needs wraps in case she does stick with the trifolded prefolds)-- do any WAHM's make newborn sized wraps that can work with trifolds or contours?

2. Buy a couple of newborn fitted dipes with adorable prints from (please tell me where) that has them instock.

3. Buy a couple of happy heinys.

4. Buy some accessories-- wet bag, beautiful wipes, etc.

Thanks for any help, Karla

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I think at least one Happy Heiny would be a good idea.
But this kinda decision making is the worst for me. Especially when there are several factors at play, like wanting to do a show and tell but also get her stuff she needs.... She's lucky to have you as a friend, that's all I gotta say!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
What about a pocket diaper like the HH, and a one-sized diaper like a cuddlebuns? It won't really work for a NB but it will soon enough and they come in cute prints.

I think the frog print Bummis wrap is super cute, that is a good option for a cover.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would go with more covers since you know that is what she wants. Maybe one HH too. Could you just bring a few of your show off diapers in case anyone shows interest?

amy

·
Registered
500 Posts
First may I say - WOW! You are a great friend and you've bought her some wonderful sounding stuff.

Now, my suggestion would be go with more covers/wraps as that is what she'll get the most use out of. The snappi will hopefully go a long way to convincing her she doesn't have to only use wrap covers, so you can buy any kind of covers you really like I think. Or pocket or AIO type diapers are a great idea (especially for the husband!)

May I suggest www.soulmother.com for fleece if you're interested? Or www.braedensbumz.com for pocket diapers? Have fun as you continue shopping!

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
I would go with accesories (wet bag, wipes, etc) OR covers. Or maybe a little of both. I know how much I love my yummy knit and velour wipes and feel bad for people who don't have them - yet.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
SInce you said that she doesnt use cds at night, why dont you buy her something to use at night? happy heineys, or fuzzi bunz would be good choices.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Kermit
But this kinda decision making is the worst for me. Especially when there are several factors at play, like wanting to do a show and tell but also get her stuff she needs.... She's lucky to have you as a friend, that's all I gotta say!
You are very sweet. I know, this kind of decision making is hard for me too, hence the post. Gift giving can be a little stressful because you want to give someone something that will be useful and be something that they will like aesthetically. Since everyone has such different tastes in CDing, I'm a bit afraid that she'll open up this stuff and go what the frick is this? Where's the white velcro wraps I asked for?

Actually, she's way too cool and elegant to say anything negative at all to me.

I decided to take everyone's suggestions, and I got:

2 Happy heinys size small (butterfly batik and tie dye flowers)
1 dozen velour/sherpa wipes (lavender)
1 wetbag, some kind of celestial print I think

Currently working on the cuddlebuns that Jennifer suggested (good idea!)-- Ann at RB has one cute bikini cut one in stock, but I'd like to get a hemp one. Still searching.

Karla

1 - 10 of 10 Posts