Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure something like this has been done. I did try and look back to find some info out, but didn't really find too horribly much, so I have a few questions:

For your newborn:

Which CD's did you use?

What diaper worked best?

What would you consider the most economical (considering they aren't in NB Size very long)?

How many did you start out with? (I'm considering doing laundry every 2 days, if not every day)

Hmm..anything else you might could share with the newbie?

Completely unrelated:

Links to information against disposable diapering (for DH):

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Which CD's did you use? I used Infant CPFs, Kissaluvs size 0, and I also had a few Fuzzi Bunz and 1 Bumkins AIO.

What diaper worked best? Kissaluvs 0s - I liked Bummis SWW over the Kissaluvs and also Bumpy Day or Night covers.

What would you consider the most economical (considering they aren't in NB Size very long)? Infant CPFs would be most economical, my dd fit in them until she was 8 months old.

How many did you start out with? (I'm considering doing laundry every 2 days, if not every day) I had 36 Infant CPFs - which was more than enough. Then I had 9 Kissaluvs 0s, 3 preemie FBs, and 1 small Bumkins AIO. I also had 9 newborn covers. I did laundry every other day when dd was a newborn. I used Kissaluvs at night and when out and then CPFs at home. For the next baby I will get more Kissaluvs though.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
I used 2 doz DSQ infant prefolds and 4 Bumkins newborn covers. I love how lightweight they are and how they have the vent in the back for breathability. They are also quick drying in case they all get soiled before I have a chance to do a load of diapers.
I also had 6 Bummis Super Whisper Wraps in size small. They can be folded down and still work ok on a small baby. But my newborns are over 8 lbs and grow out of the Bumkins covers in about 2 weeks. They can still use the prefolds for the first 2 months or so and then I just use the infant size as doublers for overnight when they grow out of them. I don't pin or snappi so they do fit longer that way.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I'm going to preface this by saying dd was a preemie so technically this is how we diapered our 3 month old but she was only 5lbs and had the same wetting/pooing habits of a newborn

For your newborn:

Which CD's did you use?We started off with preemie prefolds and lite wraps, then moved to infant prefolds and bummis/wool covers with a few fitteds thrown in

What diaper worked best?The prefolds, they wet so often abosorbancy isn't an really an issue (even though they are pretty darn absobant) and newborns (mine anyway) don't really have the wonder explosive poos we all love so much.

What would you consider the most economical (considering they aren't in NB Size very long)?Again, prefolds, they're cheap and readily available. Dd can still fit in the infant prefolds and she's 7 months and 13.5lbs

How many did you start out with? (I'm considering doing laundry every 2 days, if not every day)We had 36 preemie prefolds and that was enough to get us through about a day and half, we only had five preemie covers and I wish we had had one or two more. However, preemie prefolds are only 2x6x2 and need to be changed very often, 36 infant prefolds (either 4x6x4 or 4x8x4) would probably be more than enough to wash every two days.

ETA: preemie prefolds are a great doubler for infant prefolds, we even add them to our fitteds for a little extra boost of absobancy.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
For your newborn:

Which CD's did you use? I used kissaluvs, bummis and proraps and prefolds, and fuzzi bunz

What diaper worked best? Laying in a preemie prefold into a bummis or prorap

What would you consider the most economical (considering they aren't in NB Size very long)? same as above

How many did you start out with? (I'm considering doing laundry every 2 days, if not every day) 36

Hmm..anything else you might could share with the newbie? you might have to try a few things before you decide what works best for you

good luck!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
use used BeccaBottoms newborn fitted with BeccaBottoms covers and a bunch of BeccaBottoms newborn fitteds.

I also had a few newborn Nannipoos.

We also used some (real cheap!!) Sweet Dreams PUL covers.

DD was small when she was born, so we used most of our newborn stuff for about 3 months.

We wanted to do laundry every other day, but because she was so small, not all the stuff I had fit her. We had enough for about a day and a half, sometimes 2 days. We had 6 nanipoos and 16 nb BeccaBottoms and I think 5 or so AIOs.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Which CD's did you use?
We started w/mostly IPFs and bumpy and proraps covers. We also had Kissaluvs which I used at night.

What diaper worked best?
Our IPFs worked the best and I also LOVED the RB FLAM we had. For AIO's, the VB AIO we had in xs was great. We kept it in the diaper bag.

What would you consider the most economical (considering they aren't in NB Size very long)?
IPF's

How many did you start out with? (I'm considering doing laundry every 2 days, if not every day)
I had 24 UBIPF's, 4-6 covers, a few fitteds (maybe 8 nb) and I did laundry about every 1 1/2-2 days.

Good luck! It's so much fun!

Links to information against disposable diapering (for DH):[/QUOTE]
http://www.ecobaby.com/cloth.htm

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Which cloth diapers did you use?---Infant cpfs and Kissaluv 0s

What diaper worked best?---Infant cpfs worked the best, fit the best and were most absorbent

What would you consider the most economical (considering they aren't in NB Size very long)?---Definitely infant cpfs. My dd outgrew the Kissaluv 0s at 2-3wks of age.

How many did you start out with? (I'm considering doing laundry every 2 days, if not every day)---We had 36 infant cpfs, 6 Kissaluv 0s, 1 nb Prorap AIO(never used), and lots of nb covers. We had Bummis SWW, Motherease Rikkis, Diaperaps, Dappis Nylons, Especially for Baby, & Proraps. My favorite covers for a nb were the Bummis, Dappis, Rikkis, and Especially for Baby. Least favorite were the nb Proraps, but I like them in larger sizes.

·
Registered
9,888 Posts
MomAnita4Jesus said:
For your newborn:

Which CD's did you use?
Nanipoos fitteds, valor kids fitteds, molly togs fitteds, kindhearted women (khw) fitteds, kissaluv 0, FCB 0 (really preemie sized imho), Preemie and infant cpfs.

What diaper worked best?
my kissaluv 0 snap popped off, but they have a lifetime warranty, so it was a fluke... valor kids and molly togs are very similar and had the velour inners that I really liked, but no snap down feature.. Nanipoos have umbilical cord dip, and pretty affordable. Snaps could improve, though. The khw I have has the umbilical cord snap down AND fits for a longer period of time (technically a "small") these would be my entire newborn stash if I could find them more easily.

CPFs... I got "drylon" dye from my local Joann Fabric store (1.99 per color) added salt and dyed mine pretty colors.

I probably had 20 fitteds for Angelo and an endless stack of infant prefolds... I borrowed 8 preemie prefolds.

Get a couple newborn aios for baby checkups. But, they don't hold runny poo well, (fitteds are better for this). I am still looking for newborn aios that have gussets... I think I would like to try one. Also, diapering newborns is pretty constant for awhile. Colored/printed diapers make it so much more fun!

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
MomAnita4Jesus said:
For your newborn:

Which CD's did you use?

What diaper worked best?

QUOTE]

We used 95% PFs (infant size), a couple bitty fitteds. Dh and I bother preferred the PFs (w/ snappi). PFs are def. the most economical. We had 2doz and w/ the couple fitteds were washing every 24-36hrs (C would go through 20/day at that point). That lasted around 6wks (although we started adding mediums to the stash and he was wearing them by 3-4wks) before we moved more solidly into fitteds b/c the infant PFs were getting too snug by 8+ wks (hard to snappi). It took me another couple weeks to figure out and buy some regular PFs (4.6.4) which fit so much nicer as middle ground when infants are too small and premiums too big.

I'd say 3doz if you want to make it almost 2days on PFs alone.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
For your newborn:

Which CD's did you use?
Mainly Kissaluvs sz 0--we bought nb Nanipoos, but they were too small for our 9lb 1.6oz baby!

What diaper worked best?
Kissaluvs over the Nanipoos, but the Nanipoos were cuter.

While I LOVED the Kissaluvs, prefolds and proraps are definitely the most economical. DH was afraid of prefolds
so we went with fitteds, but I use prefolds off and on and love them too!

We had 15 Kissaluvs, 13 Nanipoos, a dozen infant cpfs (never used as dipes during the nb stage), and 16 preemie cpfs (WAAAAAAAAAAY to small for my girlie--used them as doublers when she started peeing through the Kissaluvs). We used the KLs first, then the Nanipoos if we had to (sold them pretty quickly because they didn't fit), and washed about every day and a half. We had 3 nb proraps, 1 nb Bummis, and some wool for fun. We moved on to Muttaqins (ww.muttaqinbaby.com - they are a one size diaper) after the Kissaluvs/Nanipoos, and next time we're just going to start with them.

Don't be afraid of cpfs! They work, they're fun, and they're CHEAP! I am planning to skip the nb dipes next time. They do fit really well and are nice during those first two weeks of sleeplessness, but I just don't think the price is worth it. If your babe has sensitive skin (like mine) buy some cheap fleece and cut it up into liners.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Which CD's did you use? Mainly Kissaluv 0s, though we also had prefolds, and a Fuzzi Bunz.

What diaper worked best? Kissaluv 0s all the way. The prefolds were okay too, but always leaked pooh on the cover, where Kissaluvs did not.

What would you consider the most economical (considering they aren't in NB Size very long)? Not sure. Prefolds are cheap, but Kissaluvs have a pretty good resale value.

How many did you start out with? I had 24 Kissaluv 0s, 24 ubcpf, 1 FB, and 1 AIO.

Hmm..anything else you might could share with the newbie? I preferred fleece covers over the diapers. They were just so soft. Bummis worked really well too.

Links to information against disposable diapering (for DH): This oe convinced my DH in a heartbeat: http://www.thediaperhyena.com/diaper_drama.htm

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Which CD's did you use?
I used preemie and infant prefolds with proraps and bummis, also tried kissaluvs 0, Luke's Drawers newborn contour, and an aio (bumkins, I think).

What diaper worked best?
Prefolds and proraps worked best (still using them at 2 years). Bummis never fit right and he peed right through the kissaluvs, plus it was not fun to have to do snaps on a diaper and then on a cover, too. Also fitteds, contours and aios take too long to dry (in my opinion).

What would you consider the most economical?
The prefolds. I thought it was worth it to have some preemies for the beginning though, as infants can be really bulky when they are tiny.

How many did you start out with?
I had a dozen preemie and two dozen infant and washed every day. I'm still using both on him! I use the preemie diapers as a doubler in his infant prefolds and trifold them in a wrap. Definitely getting some use out of them. They are also good to stuff pocket diapers with. I started using pockets for nighttime when he got a little older, pooped a little less and slept for longer periods.

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
Which CD's did you use? We started out with infant prefolds and proraps

What diaper worked best? prefolds worked fine. We had some leaks, but I think that was because I didn't know how to fold right, but when I got the hang of folding, it was all ok

What would you consider the most economical (considering they aren't in NB Size very long)? Infant sized prefolds. The good thing about prefolds, is that once they are too small to snappi or pin, you can lay them in a cover, so you'll use these for a while.

How many did you start out with? (I'm considering doing laundry every 2 days, if not every day) 36 prefolds and 6 proraps

HTH

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.