Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal for my 2 week old to want to nurse every 30 minutes while he is awake during the day? He just wants to nurse wether he is full or not. So far he seems to hate the paci too. What the heck happened to the mytical eating every 1 to 3 hours.

· Registered
5,812 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Valid28 View Post
Is it normal for my 2 week old to want to nurse every 30 minutes while he is awake during the day? He just wants to nurse wether he is full or not. So far he seems to hate the paci too. What the heck happened to the mytical eating every 1 to 3 hours.
It's supposed to be AT LEAST every 1-2 hours, lol.

Mine's 3 weeks old and doing the same thing.

· Premium Member
9,385 Posts
Yeah, that sounds about right. Think about it this way-- breastfeeding is about more than food. He's just been taken from a situation of absolute security and comfort, and he's only just barely begun adjusting to life in the big world. It's overwhelming and scary. Your breast is home to him. It's the comfort and security he longs for. There's a complex hormonal interaction that happens between you and him, and inside him, when he nurses. He feels a deep satisfaction and sense of safety when he's suckling.

On a more practical level, frequent small feedings are the biological norm for our species. All that suckling is stimulating an abundant milk supply and helping your uterus to return to normal. It's building a strong bond between you, and helping baby to learn that his needs will be met.

It can also just about drive you crazy, especially if you imagined a more routine every-few-hours situation. But yeah, I think that sounds just about right.

Congratulations! Enjoy these early days. Before you know it, he'll be too busy running around and playing to want to spend very much time cuddling. The time goes so fast...

· Registered
1,225 Posts
Yes, totally normal. But don't worry, it doesn't last forever.

Set yourself up a nice comfortable nursing area, comfy chair, water bottle, lansinoh, snacks, magazines, TV remote, movies/music, etc., and put your feet up. At two weeks postpartum, nursing is your life - so make of it what you can.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.