Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a friend of mine has a 3 day old. he has jaundus and is a lazy nurser so he maybe isnt getting a lot and so isnt gaining weight. they already have my friend supplimenting and she is worried about her supply. i am worried for her. it sounds like they are over reacting to me and she should not have to suppliment. he is not loosing weight!<br><br>
what do you think. what are helpful tips i can give her. i already told her if she suppliments to be pumping like crazy because its just short term and she wants to have milk to feed him later on. i also told her jaundus will correct itself soon with sunlight ect. and to just relax and keep him on the breast all day long. anything else??

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
My DD had jaundice and my ped told me to be sure to nurse every 2 hours around the clock (so that meant waking DD b/c she was a very sleepy baby). She also recommended a little sun exposure every day (like nursing DD in just a diaper near a sunny window a couple of times a day). DD ended up needing a bili blanket ( a great way of getting the baby UV light while still being able to carry/feed/change, etc baby).<br><br>
I'm not sure pumping would be necessary for your friend. Her milk might not have fully come in yet. As long as baby is wetting normally, it shouldn't be a problem She might try the nursing every 2 hours and doing every trick to get baby to nurse longer. I'd avoid formula supplements unless they're trully necessary.<br><br>
BTW, my DD's jaundice resolved after maybe a week w/ no supplementation. A friend of mine had a similar situation and was told she <i>had</i> to supplement. He DS had a lot of problems w/ the formula, turned out to be colicky, and later went on to have serious food issues as a child. I don't know if all three are really connected, but it made me grateful to have a ped supportive of bf'ing. Tell your friend to get a second opinion from a doc who <i>really</i> is educated about bg'ing.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Breastmilk is the best thing for getting rid of jaundice. Sunlight and breastmilk. She's right to be concerned about her supply. Doctors don't care about breastfeeding, they care about ticking off the boxes on their checklist. She should definitely keep an eye on the jaundice and that he is getting enough milk. But it needs to be breast milk, preferably directly from mama. He's not going to get to be a better nurser if she's giving him bottles at three days old.<br><br>
Jaundice is a natural phenomenon and generally isn't anything to worry about.<br>
If it were my baby, I'd ignore the docs unless the jaundice wasn't resolving in a week (8 days). If the doc told me it was serious, life-threatening jaundice, then I'd take his advice, but normal neonatal jaundice is nothing to really even think twice about. She just needs to breastfeed him.<br><br>
My 2 cents. Go look it up on lalecheleague.org, too.<br><br>
-Lindsay

·
Registered
611 Posts
All my kids had jaundice, and I was told to keep them by a sunny window and BF as much as possible. Seems weird that they would actually tell them to supplement.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Usually baby doesn't need supplementing, just more nursing. But depends on how well he's nursing, how high his bili levels are, his gestational age... there's a lot of factors. I think bili levels peak around day 3 or 4.<br><br>
At 3 days, you wouldn't expect him to be gaining weight yet.<br><br>
My son's levels went really high cause he was 36w and bruised a lot. I did use formula for a day before my milk came in. Then I was pumping heaps so I could give him EBM. He wasn't nursing too well and was under the bili lights in NICU so feeding times were limited. But his was a more extreme case. It really depends on how jaundiced they are.<br><br>
Here's a good article on jaundice and breastfeeding:<br><a href="http://www.kellymom.com/newman/07jaundice.html" target="_blank">http://www.kellymom.com/newman/07jaundice.html</a>

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks so much. lots of good info that i will pass on to my friend. i dont know all the details either so i just hope that as a first time mom she can have enough confidence in hereself and stick to breastfeeding. thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts