Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my 3 week old darling baby boy and I have some latch issues. In fact, we've been through a lot. Week one, he started by sucking off chunks of my nipples OUCH! They've healed completely now. Week one and a half, I got a plugged duct that was borderline mastitis. After several nights (days were just fine for some reason) of fever and chills, I ended up taking pokeroot. That worked very well. Now, and probably throughout, I am suffering from creased nipples most of the time.<br><br>
Breastfeeding is still generally a good experience for me, so maybe that's why I haven't fixed the problem yet. He's also gaining weight in bounds!<br><br>
I've tried different positions. I've tried holding him by his shoulders instead of his head or neck (we usually cross-cradle), but it seems so uncomfortable. He usually gets pretty upset, too. He's quite the complainy baby.<br><br>
I'd like to know if anyone has any further suggestions....?<br><br>
Furthermore, I think I'd like to try nursing lying down so that neither of us have to support his super-heavy head to work on his latch. Do you think that's a good idea? How do you nurse lying down? (I can probably guess, but maybe some tips)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Have you had a lactation consultant help you? Is he taking your nipple and areola into his mouth, not just the nipple? I know I had a lot of soreness for about 2 months after starting but it does go away, just make sure someone looks at your latch to make sure he is doing it the right way.<br><br>
Nursing laying down is so wonderful, it lets you nap every time he eats, once you get good at it. You just lay on your side and lay him down on his side next to you. If you need to bring your breast up you can roll up a receiving blanket and put it under your breast for support so it doesn't pull out of his mouth, although thats just at first, after a while they practically latch themselves in this position especially if you co sleep.<br><br>
Nursing in different positions helps to prevent sore nipples and blocked ducts because it changes the area that is getting the most action. Make sure you are nursing on demand, I know its hard with all the visitors and such but you have to feed him every time he starts giving you signals and if you notice a hard spot on your breast make sure to massage it out while he is nursing or while in the shower.<br><br>
Keep BF, it gets easier I swear!

·
Registered
11,593 Posts
The best advice I got was to bring baby onto the breast chin first and make sure his nose is not touching your breast at all. Cross cradle hold worked best for us at first, and I absolutely had to keep hold of both my breast and his head/neck for this to be comfortable. I also suggest experimenting with lots of different pillows. I have a certain way I put my pillows in bed and in a chair in our living room, and those were the only two ways nursing was comfortable for me in the first few weeks.<br><br>
I personally wouldn't advise side-lying nursing until your nipples are less painful. This is because you are likely to doze off and not pay attention to what baby is doing to your nipples (latching incorrectly, pinching the nipple, etc.) while nursing this way. I've also found it way more difficult to evaluate whether my babe has a good latch while in this position.<br><br>
Good luck, mama! You seem to have a really positive attitude, and I promise you'll get the hang of it. I'm just a few weeks ahead of you (my babe is 6 weeks old today), and nursing is smooth sailing for us now.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
In the beginning, I found it helpful to latch baby on while I was still upright, and then have DH help me ease down to a lying down position and help arrange pillows for us to be comfortable. After a few tries like that, I started to get the hang on the positioning and could latch them while already lying down. And in a few weeks, when they develop some head control, it's a lot easier to latch lying down. You just lie on your side comfortably, use pillows to prop up baby or boob or your head or whatever so that baby is aligned with the nipple, and hold babe close to you lying on his/her side. I like to put a rolled-up blanket behind my kids to help them stay on their sides.<br><br>
As far as the latch goes, have you seen the videos on assymetric latch at Jack Newman's site? <a href="http://www.drjacknewman.com/" target="_blank">http://www.drjacknewman.com/</a> They helped us a lot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts